So I had someone contact me, a d was very specific on his needs. Here's the part about him wanting a softer than normal holster:

"I want it lined with suede or some soft material,so as not to take the finish off at the tip espically. Thanks I don't care about anything fancy. I don't like a holster that is stiff and won't bend can you help?"

Not sure about the flexibility part. Once it's glued and wet molded, it's gonna be stiff. Any ideas?

Friend,

You aren't going to convince someone whose mind is made up but I'd think a soft leather would be MORE damaging to the finish over time. Note a barrel cleaning rod should ideally be of a harder or at least equal hardness to the barrel. Grit adheres to the softer metal and then is drug abrasively over the surface of the harder metal.

When I first got into pistols the late 70s, I noticed that practice draws quickly wore the bluing off my Blued 1911A1. The Satin Nickel on my Commander was somewhat more durable but still wore away. However the Bright Nickel on my S&W Model 29 was quite durable.

Don't want your finish to wear? Get a gun that is Bright Nickeled or Bright Chromed.

The Arm Chair Commandos think that subdued finishes are "Tactical." Think about it. When a gun is holstered and concealed it really doesn't matter if it is covered with Rubies and Flashing Multicolered LEDs. Once it is in your hand it is very noticeable anyway. If you think that you will often have to do room clearances or pursue armed clients into dark alleys—maybe subdued makes some little sense. Even then note that the old Texas Rangers preferred Bright Nickeled firearms—even their Double Shotguns. They wanted their client to stare at their weapon like a rodent entranced by a snake to the exclusion of other tactical factors.

Over the years my aversion to subdued finishes has grown a great deal...

To the degree that I've coined the term GLOB—Gun-Like OBject—It just missed being a Real Handgun by virtue of not being Bright Nickeled [I'm quite open-minded. I'll also accept Bright Chrome, Gold, Copper, Silver, Colored Case Hardening and highly polished Stainless…] And yes, A friend had the entirety of a 1911A1 Color Case Hardened.

{Gold is very soft. I've heard of plating a gun with Copper or Brass to be a poor man's gold finish. You really have to polish Copper and Silver a great deal to keep it from corroding—but a gun with Corroded Copper Plating is still a gun while a Parkerized near-miss is STILL a GLOB!}

…..RVM45

Edited by RVM45

I think every holster will wear a finish.

I say try and educate him and go from there.

This^^^^^

Stop the idea that a holster can be built to not wear a finish dead in it's tracks.  I do this by letting my customers know that my Sig P238 shows most of it's finish wear on the right side safety, Right rear of slide, right edge of beavertail, and right side of hammer.......from my shirts.  If he does not want holster wear my suggestion is he buy a gun rug and keep it in the safe.  And yes, I've told folks that too.  If he does not understand that, send him on his way.  That's not a headache I would want to deal with.  

Also suggest that a soft material in the holster will likely trap dirt and debris and may INCREASE finish wear if used regularly.  

Neatsfoot oil will soften the leather, but then soft leather will lose definition, and shape by flexing.  This will defeat the purpose of wet moulding a pancake holster.   No doubt, in the not too distant future, the customer will complain about the look, and 'grip' of the gun in the holster.

Tell him you've researched it, and the idea isn't practical, even if he is happy for you to still go ahead, just say no.

Some things are just not worth the hassle.

(Unless someone wiser comes along)

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, chiefjason said:

This^^^^^

Stop the idea that a holster can be built to not wear a finish dead in it's tracks.  I do this by letting my customers know that my Sig P238 shows most of it's finish wear on the right side safety, Right rear of slide, right edge of beavertail, and right side of hammer.......from my shirts.  If he does not want holster wear my suggestion is he buy a gun rug and keep it in the safe.  And yes, I've told folks that too.  If he does not understand that, send him on his way.  That's not a headache I would want to deal with.  

Also suggest that a soft material in the holster will likely trap dirt and debris and may INCREASE finish wear if used regularly.  

I agree 100%. Try to educate, if possible, but if they won't come around, don't go down that rabbit hole.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, RVM45 said:

The Arm Chair Commandos think that subdued finishes are "Tactical." Think about it. When a gun is holstered and concealed it really doesn't matter if it is covered with Rubies and Flashing Multicolered LEDs. Once it is in your hand it is very noticeable anyway. If you think that you will often have to do room clearances or pursue armed clients into dark alleys—maybe subdued makes some little sense. Even then note that the old Texas Rangers preferred Bright Nickeled firearms—even their Double Shotguns. They wanted their client to stare at their weapon like a rodent entranced by a snake to the exclusion of other tactical factors.

Thanks for the chuckle

I'm going to be your analyst; as you are posting here for ideas, thought and suggestions because you are 'not sure' about it then you are not happy making such a holster. Tell the client that having considered it you'd not be happy making such a holster for anybody and walk away from the deal. Better to walk away than make something you're not content will do the job required for if it does as you expect then its failings will reflect badly on you and your work