RonSwanson

Leather Recommendation

I've just started to get into this and I would like to make a belt, dog collar, and dog leash. Can someone recommend for me a type of leather that would be best suited for these projects? As of now, I do not have the space to cut my own strips so I would be looking for something precut. 

Thanks in advance. 

SD

are you planning on tooling or dying them or are you looking for something pre-finished so you just have to add buckles and cut holes?

you will pay more for pre-cut strips and it doesn't take that much room to cut your own

Planning on tooling and dyeing. I have punches and a rivet setter.

Veg Tanned Leather... however if you plan on doing more than just those projects, I would opt to buy a side and a strap cutter. The math (if im correct) shows the 5 pack of belt blanks at 1.5x72" (at best) is 3.75 sq ft. That's 13.33 a sq ft. You can buy a side of Hermann Oak Craftsman grade for around 8.59 a sq ft. I have bought the craftsman grades before. They have some imperfections, but do not affect the yield of your side much if you are cutting straps out of them. They are a little less attractive to those that cut out larger squared pieces for projects. 

You can buy a $20 strap cutter and still save $$$

You can also contact Weaver Leather in Berlin, Ohio, . . . they will sell you the leather and for a small fee will cut it pretty much to the width's you want.  

(at least they used to do it, . . . don't know for certain today's details, . . . but contact them, . . . they are absolutely wonderful people to work with)

May God bless,

Dwight

It's gonna depend on how long and wide the straps need be.  I have some here that are 1 1/2" wide H.O. "A" grade.. and also some which are narrower and / or shorter which would make great collars & leads.  Send me a message if you like... natural leather and also some drum dyed straps.

Thanks all for the replies. I will check them out and see what will work best for me. 

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a large section and a strip cutter. I'm paying a premium for these smaller cuts and I am limited at what I can do. 

5 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a large section and a strip cutter. I'm paying a premium for these smaller cuts and I am limited at what I can do. 

Good deal. It's always good to have the versatility of choosing to cut a 1/2" strip for a project or a 3" strip right off the side. You wont regret the money saved and the ability to do the aforementioned. Best of luck!