GrayHallidayJr

"SLASHER" Jack the Ripper Tribute

It's some kind to tribute to Jack the Ripper, titled SLASHER, for the guitarist that stabs instead of strums. It's only Rock n' Roll. Neoprene lined backing.

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_7010.JPG

Once again, Awesome 

Man, I love your work. You have a style all your own. Fantastic. 

3 hours ago, pnj said:

What is your back grounding tool?

A craftool pro. I've got the 4 hole and the 3 hole, bubble? Bump? The length measurement, is what I'm trying to say.

3 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

Man, I love your work. You have a style all your own. Fantastic. 

Thank you! Fantasy. Art indulges imagination. It makes me very happy when other people like it. 

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Once again, Awesome 

Thanks, Boss! 

Quick question: A while back Tandy ran a special on saddle skirt hides for $99. I got three and am down to the last of it. It's been so tough to strip, split and carve. Glad to be finished with it. I think if I want to get better I have to invest in a better quality hide. Any hide source recommendations beyond Hermann Oak? - I know they're good. There are several options just from sponsored ads on this page. I prefer a lighter color veg tan finish- the lighter the better.

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

Wickett and Craig are just as good as H.O.

You can buy single hides from them. You won't be disappointed.

That background is called a "bar grounder".   They take a little practice to get right but the results, as you can see here, are well worth the effort.    

Great work!  I always look forward to seeing what you come up with, Gray!

Bill

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

That background is called a "bar grounder".   They take a little practice to get right but the results, as you can see here, are well worth the effort.    

Great work!  I always look forward to seeing what you come up with, Gray!

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Really appreciate it. And thanks for the "bar grounder" intel. There's still so much of me to learn, including the names of the tools I've been using!

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Wickett and Craig are just as good as H.O.

You can buy single hides from them. You won't be disappointed.

W/C is awsome to work with too. They will split tooling and skirting down for nothing. There traditional harness is GORGEOUS. Spent a lot of time talking to Kylie from W/C this weekend at the Sheridan show.

11 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

W/C is awsome to work with too. They will split tooling and skirting down for nothing. There traditional harness is GORGEOUS. Spent a lot of time talking to Kylie from W/C this weekend at the Sheridan show.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely try them out. 

Hey Gray, just wondering about your coloring.  Are you using mostly dye?  Obviously the white is not but I can't tell with some of the other colors. Thanks.

Killer work as usual man! It makes me want to quit, but it is sure fun to dream!

On 5/26/2017 at 11:18 AM, cjartist said:

Hey Gray, just wondering about your coloring.  Are you using mostly dye?  Obviously the white is not but I can't tell with some of the other colors. Thanks.

I'm using dyes, inks and blended antique stains. Sometimes I mix in a little beer, coffee or scotch.

Thanks, Battlemunkey. Much obliged!

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

thats fun! great job!!!

Man you've got as good a cense of hummer as you have talent as an artist. Just love your work!

On 11/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, chancey77 said:

thats fun! great job!!!

Thank you! I had fun making that one. 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:44 PM, JD62 said:

Man you've got as good a cense of hummer as you have talent as an artist. Just love your work!

That is a kind compliment. Thank you. My sense of hummer has always been off. As well as my artistic style. I’m working on some designs for a leather carving competition in March. Knowing that the judges are very traditional in their own carving style, I’m having a hard time deciding whether or not to try to do something more traditional Western/realism  for the competition or stay true to my own weird style/subject matter. I don’t know.

Gray, your "you" part of your work is a huge part to highlight. I think I like your work more than any of the other stuff I've seen because it has that differnce. I say to hell with the judges if they don't get it. Your eye for art is great even if it is a bit different. Like, Picasso and Muddy Waters.

On 12/4/2017 at 0:19 PM, battlemunky said:

Gray, your "you" part of your work is a huge part to highlight. I think I like your work more than any of the other stuff I've seen because it has that differnce. I say to hell with the judges if they don't get it. Your eye for art is great even if it is a bit different. Like, Picasso and Muddy Waters.

I want to be modest and say the right thing like, “I have no business being compared to those heroes’” but all I’m doing is that happy dog “air scratch’” thing. Thanks, Man!