DS STRAPS

Leather vest and a whole lot of braiding

Finally finished a leather vest I have been working on for what seems like forever. This is the first vest I made which was a request from my younger brother, took some time since he travels so getting the custom fit took some time, I would get sizing and fitting done any time he was in town. I used a pattern from Tandy and made a paper version of the vest out of construction paper then marked any desired changes on the paper then transferred to leather. Thanks for looking!

SmartSelectImage_2017-06-05-08-48-54_zps

Edited by DS STRAPS

Wow. That looks fantastic!

Nicely done! I like the design you made along the trim with the lacing. Could you get a close up shot of it or did you already give it to your brother? 

Very nicely done.

6 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

Nicely done! I like the design you made along the trim with the lacing. Could you get a close up shot of it or did you already give it to your brother? 

All the seems are done like this, which I believe is a Mexican braid or round braid

IMG_20161222_145128_452_zpskogefwhm.jpg

Nice. So the black diamonds along the bottom just come from the way the Mexican braid is done? 

Did you stop by my house and steal my idea.  LOL  I'm working on a vest and doing pretty much the same lacing.  Only I'm making mine out of deer skin.  Looks great!  Hope mine comes out as good.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, Chief Filipino said:

Nice. So the black diamonds along the bottom just come from the way the Mexican braid is done? 

actually seems are done in the braiding and the edges are just crossed lace. I went every other hole in one direction and then every other whole in the other direction. I was going to do the braiding on the edges but after doing all the seems I wasn't mentally ready to do the edges...lol...plus I think it gives it a nice contrast with the crossed lace on the edges.

16 hours ago, micktx said:

Did you stop by my house and steal my idea.  LOL  I'm working on a vest and doing pretty much the same lacing.  Only I'm making mine out of deer skin.  Looks great!  Hope mine comes out as good.

Lol....can't wait to see it when it is done

A very nice peace of work. Well done and lucky brother!

Really nice and i feel for you on the lacing on my waist coat i did all edges in mexican round and a goucho for all the seams its a LOT of braid work!!

Hello. My first post here. The seams look great. I was wanting to do something like that on a vest of mine. Would you let me know how you did those seams? The Mexican or round braid?

Thanks. Looks very nice

Try this thread.

Thanks!

Oops that's two tone and it was staring me right in the face too! Here is a single color I think with one lace. mexican-round-braid-by-anne-newkold-1-728.thumb.jpg.d89e9f30168af177639e637c0a894584.jpgmexican-round-braid-by-anne-newkold-2-728.thumb.jpg.ff7c058f076b24208af3813d51239909.jpg

3 hours ago, wheeldawg said:

Hello. My first post here. The seams look great. I was wanting to do something like that on a vest of mine. Would you let me know how you did those seams? The Mexican or round braid?

Thanks. Looks very nice