CTaylorJr

Bracelet finish/treatment

I've been asked to make 4 bracelets for bride and bride's maids.  

I usually do figure carving and finish them with resolene, typically no sweat or water issues with those.  What's the finish of choice for bracelets?   

No paint, just a resolene resist and then antique.  Will resolene hold up or should I use an oil finish?

Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in here, but I would think resolene or maybe even tan kote would be ok. Will the bracelets be lined? Or flesh side against the skin?

Resolene waterproofs and seals the leather. Tan kote works too and is good for "sealing" the flesh side in my experience. But it is meant for providing "a protective finish to all smooth leathers" according to feibings. 

I just use my regular top coat on the flesh side of anything that needs to be sealed to include the cuff that my little boy just made recently posted.  As of right now to date I have had no allergic reactions from anyone (knocking on wood)!!!!!!

if you put the resolene on then antique, there won't be anything to keep the antique from rubbing off so you will end up with a hack of a mess (I hope they don't wear them with the wedding dresses) so you need to put something over the antique. Normally, supershene is the finish of choice before applying antique.

far as the back side, if I'm not dying them, all I do is apply sno-off or a wax mixture I have and melt it in with a heat gun. Prevents the sweat from your skin penetrating very much (you will be hard pressed to make the leather completely waterproof)

Thanks all.  I use the resolene as a resist coat prior to antique, and then resolene finish after.  

I did a few rest pieces last night that way and will work them over for a day or so.  

The bracelets are for pictures and to recreate the ones they had in high school 

I use Bee Natural RTC finish.  Just because its not so shiny as resolene.  Seals great for antique and looks good.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:53 AM, immiketoo said:

I use Bee Natural RTC finish.  Just because its not so shiny as resolene.  Seals great for antique and looks good.

Thanks.  I looked into this and talked to a friend in the area that uses it.  He gave me a pill bottle full, and after trying it over the last couple of days, I just ordered some from Weaver.  

I appreciate the recommendation!