A friend bought a dagger on eBay and asked me to make a sheath for it.  Here is the result.

image1.JPG.0337b7ede081c29d5a535b9f5a65a18a.JPGimage2.JPG.e40fc478509a18cfb4f14e3e4744c39d.JPGimage3.JPG.8b2b2860a2095ac917fc88c656967f2e.JPG

This is the first time I tried sewing this thickness of leather with my CB 4500.  It is made of 6 layers of veg tan leather totaling about 5/8" thickness (4 layers of 8 oz and 2 layers 4 oz that I used as liners.). I first tried sewing with 207 thread and 23 needle.  On the 2nd stitch I saw the needle bending about halfway through and stopped immediately!  Started over with 277 thread and #25 needle and it sailed right through.  It caused a small flaw that you can see on the upper left side of the rear of the sheath.  I used 207 thread in the bobbin.

I made the sheath thick to accommodate the hilt so it will not dig into the back of the sheath.  The fit is very snug, so probably could have skipped the strap.

Every time I use my CB 4500 I learn a little more about how to use it and I think my results are getting a little better with every project.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Gary

image4.JPG

That's a chunky sheath. But it'll wear nicely. Looks good to me, and I'm not familiar with machine stitching. What spi did you use?

over time the strap will be needed as the leather settles into its new life, agreed with @Stetson912 seems a little chunky but as I have never made a stealth take it with a grain of salt lol.

Yeah, garypl said he kept it flat so it wouldn't damage or dig into itself. I also may help keep the handle from stabbing the wearer in the back so to say.hehe. I will say you won't be able to hurt that sheath haha. 

How do you burnish that thick edge?

Looks great. I like it.

8 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

That's a chunky sheath. But it'll wear nicely. Looks good to me, and I'm not familiar with machine stitching. What spi did you use?

Thanks Stetson - it's stitched at @4.5 spi.  I didn't have to make it this thick, but I wanted to see how easy it would be to sew it with the 4500!

8 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

over time the strap will be needed as the leather settles into its new life, agreed with @Stetson912 seems a little chunky but as I have never made a stealth take it with a grain of salt lol.

Good point about the leather softening up over time - my friend will never carry this though - just for his collection!

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Yeah, garypl said he kept it flat so it wouldn't damage or dig into itself. I also may help keep the handle from stabbing the wearer in the back so to say.hehe. I will say you won't be able to hurt that sheath haha. 

How do you burnish that thick edge?

Used a hand held wood burnisher - amazing how nicely better quality leather will burnish compared to some of the stretchy leather I have used in the past.

49 minutes ago, Rohn said:

Looks great. I like it.

Thanks Rohn!

44 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I like it

Thanks Kiwican!  I got to thinking and as thick and heavy as this sheath turned out, one might use it as a weapon if they lose the dagger!

I see nothing wrong with a thick sheath per se. You just built it battle field tough!

19 hours ago, garypl said:

Thanks Kiwican!  I got to thinking and as thick and heavy as this sheath turned out, one might use it as a weapon if they lose the dagger!

with the retort: "man you ain't worth drawing the dagger, I'll just smack you with the sheath

I tend to overdo projects I make because I don't like my projects wearing out or breaking prematurely!