MegasHockeyShop

Problem: getting extra loop of top thread under needle plate

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help resolve this issue I am having with my Pfaff 1295 (pic attached) where I get the following symptoms:

• After I stop sewing and I lift up the presser foot, it's difficult to pull the material away because there are 4 threads attached to the material I am sewing:  1 upper thread on top of the material and 3 threads on the bottom.  The 3 threads on the bottom of the material are: 1 bobbin thread and  2 extra upper threads.  All three threads come from below the needle plate.  Note: I determined the source of the thread by using different colours on top and bottom to differentiate.
  • When I snip the 2 “extra” upper threads on the bottom of the material, it's actually only 1 piece of thread that appears to be looped around inside the bobbin case.  I simply pull it out with no resistance at all.

In general, the stitches look great on both top and bottom of the material with even, balanced stitches and no skipped stitches which leads me to believe that tension is set correctly.   I have double checked the threading and also confirmed as well as thru Uwe Grosse’s video for his Pfaff 1295 (thank you @Uwe, great video) that the machine is threaded correctly and the bobbin is wound properly.  I have installed new needle (System 134-35, tried both size 120/19 and size 130/21)  with #69 bonded nylon thread. Also, I pull the material to the back when I remove the material after I am done sewing.  I also have a synchronizer installed which is set such that the needle stops in the fully up position.

Thanks in advance for any guidance in resolving this issue:

p.s. Also, does anyone have a pdf copy of the operating and parts manuals for this generation of the pfaff 1295?  I have found manuals for the current generation only.

Pfaff 1295.jpg

Hi I don't know if this is any help because I only use an old cobblers machine but this happened to me, I tightened the bobbin tension ( the screw on the bo in casing) because it was too loose and that sorted it out.  All machines are so different though! 

hope you get it sorted :) 

Does holding the top and bottom threads for the first couple of stitches make a difference for you.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

This applies to all sewing machines.You need to stop with the take up lever all the way up.This is the part that moves up & down while your sewing & you thread through it.You might need to adjust where your syncronizer stops the machine to get it @ the top.

HTH

Edited by CowboyBob

As stated above, double check that the upper and lower thread tensions are correct. I've had similar issues in the past and found it was due to tension adjustments being out. 

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

This applies to all sewing machines.You need to stop with the take up lever all the way up.This is the part that moves up & down while your sewing & you thread through it.You might need to adjust where your syncronizer stops the machine to get it @ the top.

HTH

Thanks Bob, you nailed it!!!  The take-up lever was down when I stopped sewing.  When I manually turn the balance wheel to move the take-up lever all the way up, the problem is resolved.  I can lift the presser foot and remove the material easily with only the 2 threads attached as expected.

So, I guess now I need to figure out how to adjust the synchronizer so that it stops with the take-up lever in the correct position.  Its a Reliable 6000SM servo motor with the matching synchronizer.  Any insight on this?

Many synchronizers have two discs inside that you can rotate individually to adjust position for UP and DOWN. 

When I set up a machine with needle positioning, I usually set the DOWN position to when the needle is rising, but still in the material (don't make it stop in the hook timing position unless you enjoy skipped stitches.) For UP position I set it to when the thread take-up lever is at its highest point.

With a little luck your position sensor will look like the graphic below on the inside. It's the notch in the disc that signals STOP when it reaches the light sensors at the bottom.

Loosen the "screw" to turn the disc that needs adjusting while holding the other discs in place. It take a little practice but it's not too hard. Don't forget to tighten that screw again. 

IMG_8119.jpg

Edited by Uwe