I have begun to finish up cleaning and repairing my Chandler 305-64 (Adler 105-64 clone) and I am faced with the issue of having only 1 presser foot! Seeming that the original Adler presser feet are prohibitively expensive...I am at a loss. I either work with what I have or possibly sacrifice my only foot so that it will except more available foot options. I have looked and have found close substitutes but it would be a roll of the dice if they will actually work or not.

I have attached several pictures of the foot that I currently have and I know that there has to be different presser feet for this machine that will work...hoping not to spend an absorbent amount of money for different foot options. They have literally cloned everything when it come to sewing machines...why not feet for this machine. 

I have thought of casting different feet or possibly trying to fabricate my own on my mill. Then again, i could modify the only foot I have to accept different feet from other machines that are not so expensive. I would basically cut the foot portion off the 'shank', mill it so it is as close to horizontal as I can (hopefully within a few ,001's) and attach more common presser feet.

Basically, I am asking the knowledgeable folks here on how I should proceed....so let's hear it...at this point...I only have one option without modifying the only foot I have....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Chayse

I can mic out the actual attachment point, instead of using a tape measure if that helps anyone. Thanks in advance!

V/r,

Chayse

4.jpg

5.jpg

I think you might be able to use non-Adler feet on your machine, including some Singer feet.

You always have the option to buy a second presser foot bar (generally inexpensive and often interchangeable with other machines) and modify it to make it fit other feet, but that may not be necessary. 

A quick survey of my stash yielded a small collection of feet that may be candidates. The all have the same width mounting channel (7.6mm or 19/64") and all are very close in height (about 35mm hole center to bottom). The hole for the mounting screw on some is a tad smaller (4mm instead of 4.6mm), but that's easy to correct with a simple drill.

The center four feet in the bottom row are original Adler feet (onePart #0055840 and three Part# 105220010) that mount on the right side of the presser bar and have teeth. Those four original Adler feet are the only ones I'm positive which machine they belong to (the 105220010 feet appear in the Adler 105-RM25 parts diagram.) The bottom right foot is very close to what you currently have. 

All the others have smooth bottoms for bottom (and needle feed) machines like yours. I don't know which machines they go with, but very likely some Singer model. The feet with round holes are for machines without needle feed, since there's no room for the needle to move.

In any case, I think you have some options to move towards presser foot nirvana on your Chandler 305-64. All the feet in the picture are for sale, by the way. The original Adler feet are $80, all the others are $40 each.

IMG_8132.jpgIMG_8133.jpgIMG_8134.jpg

Edited by Uwe

New standard stock foot is available, about $130US

@Uwe..I greatly appreciate you taking the time to dig those out, it definitely gives me hope when it comes to different options..at least now I know I have options!! I will PM you in reference to a potential purchase when time gets closer to actually using this machine. I still have to mount my 'experimental' DC motor w/pedal to see if what I have come up with, will work.

@Gregg From Keystone Sewing..That is similar to the prices I have found...that, to me, is cost prohibitive...as it is over 1/2 the price of what I paid for the machine. I am strictly a hobbyist..only using my machines (for the time being) for odd repairs that might pop up on my dog's collars/harness...we foster and rescue. As of now, I have no idea of the feet I will need until I use the machine for a true 'project'..not just repairs. The repairs now are mainly completed on my 111W...it handles the leather and nylon webbing well. I thank you for the information..it helps me immensely when it comes to budgeting for my hobby!

V/r,

Chayse

3 hours ago, Chayse said:

That is similar to the prices I have found...that, to me, is cost prohibitive...as it is over 1/2 the price of what I paid for the machine

Machine "appears" to be cheap cause you got it for a bargain but spare parts sometimes seem to expensive in comparison but when you need a certain part for finishing a job it is "acceptable". You have to see the possible value of your machine and not what you have paid for it. I paid approx the same price for a binder bracket and binder attachment as for my Pffaf 345 machine head but I needed the bracket and attachments for bidding edges - I do not regret that I bought the accessories they help me doing a job. No matter if hobby or business. But I admit that $130 for a foot is really expensive but thats because they are original ADLER. You barely find "special" feet used or as an aftermarket part.

So you sometimes have to swallow the frog.

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Machine "appears" to be cheap cause you got it for a bargain but spare parts sometimes seem to expensive in comparison but when you need a certain part for finishing a job it is "acceptable". You have to see the possible value of your machine and not what you have paid for it. I paid approx the same price for a binder bracket and binder attachment as for my Pffaf 345 machine head but I needed the bracket and attachments for bidding edges - I do not regret that I bought the accessories they help me doing a job. No matter if hobby or business. But I admit that $130 for a foot is really expensive but thats because they are original ADLER. You barely find "special" feet used or as an aftermarket part.

So you sometimes have to swallow the frog.

Like my Dad would tell people, if you want to drive Mercedes and BMW, you are going to have to pay their prices for parts and their services.  People don't see this until I present it like it's a car.  Sewing machine analogies never seem to hit home.

I can't agree more; some of the German machine's prices for parts are through the roof, to say the least.  In fact that would be a nice way to put it.

I read this like "I've got this awesome vintage BMW, they still make parts for it, but I don't want to pay their prices."  Well, that's going to be a problem then.  

Gregg, I like to take the automotive analogy a step further.

I have a customer that had a 29k that was clapped out and he was always asking me to try and fix it. The machine was really slowing down his business as the shoes were piling up around him. In the end I asked him if his car was paid for by his business and the answer was "yes"

How often do you get a new one? "every three years"

How much does it cost you per month? "about $1000"

How many shoes does it fix? "HUH, none"

So, you spend $1000 a month on something that produces nothing and yet you don't have the money to buy a new Claes that will provide the income to pay for the car? Why do you expect the most important piece of equipment to last forever yet you get a new car every three years?

He got the finance and bought a new Claes and has never looked back...

Oh, I totally agree...100%. and like the vehicle analogy.  Weird because I just had to explain this to my wife....she was looking at a Land Rover HSE...being a mechanic of sorts, I KNOW that everything associated with that truck means $$$$! When an oil change is going to cost you in excess of $100...you basically pay to play! 

It applies to everything...I am a certified welder and have a couple of machines and I make money with those machines, so dropping $150 for a water-cooled torch...is justifiable. And I know the same goes for sewing machines...it depends on what you get...Pfaff, Adler....you are going to pay to play! It would be easier to justify if I made money or used those machines to make a living. With that said, I am well aware that the deeper I get into this 'hobby'..the more expensive it is going to get. 

In the long run, I will end up buying whatever I need to get the job done...if I like it or not. I will admit that it may have been a poor choice of wording...but at this moment, I wouldn't spend the money for a genuine Adler foot. Not when prioritizing everything...(we just bought a house)..so 400ft of fence, kitchen repairs, etc...come first...in the end...when the dust settles...I will end up buying different feet for the machine...or at least be at my wits end if I can't come up with something on the mill and lathe!!

I greatly appreciate everyone chiming in...it is talk like this that really makes this forum stand apart from the others out there and I am glad I can be a part of it!! Thanks everyone!!

I´m with you - I`m sometimes a Cheap Charley and I´m looking for low cost solutions for month before I swallow the frog but then I´m (usually) happy with the purchase and ask my self why have I been waiting? :lol: On the other hand waiting sometimes pays off - I made a few good deals when I kept my wallet closed for some time. It´s of course a different story when you run a serious business and need certain things to get a job done. An investment of $120 for a certain foot most likely pays off when this or the next job is done!

6 hours ago, Chayse said:

she was looking at a Land Rover HSE

Buy a Dodge WC51 instead - has not all the bells and whistles (obviously) but it will last for decades and you can do a lot repairs by your self and lots of NOS and even aftermarket parts are available. I´m sure you can convince her :lol: And you don´t have trouble with German Diesel technology :deadsubject:

Darren, Chase, Constabulary, I've read all of your posts, good stuff.  Glad to be part of the conversation.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Buy a Dodge WC51 instead

Having owned a 1941 1/2-ton WC closed cab and a 1953 M-37, I can definitely say that they don't have bells and whistles, and if they did, the bells and whistles would have grease zerks, bronze bushings and would be waterproof.

I will have a look but I think the saddlers foot for the CB2500 is about the right size and it is half the price

20170513_152616.jpg

Edited by Darren Brosowski
Add picture

2 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

I will have a look but I think the saddlers foot for the CB2500 is about the right size and it is half the price

20170513_152616.jpg

Thanks Darren! I know there probably several out there that would work or could be modified to work. The only place I have actually called was Toledo..and they had something that would fit. Sooner or later I would like to get a roller foot too...never know when it may be needed.

Not to get to far off topic but had to look up a WC51..my daily driver is actually a diesel Toyota Surf...I am a diehard Toyota guy...'78 Landcruiser FJ40, '80 4wd pickup, '88 Surf, and the wife drives an '08 Sequoia. I like them and they are easy to work on!

I have owned many Land Rovers, ( before they began making the ugly ones that rappers drive ) but, there is much truth in the saying that..
"If you want to go into the desert, get a Land Rover, if you want to get back out again, use a Toyota."

Completely off topic, but a fun fact:  Land Rovers were so prevalent amongst explorers that it's estimated that for over 50% of the worlds population, the first automobile that they saw was a Land Rover.

Bill

Careening my Land Rover away from the cliff and back towards the topic, I stumbled across a little adapter that looks much like what @Chayse considered making. It allows installing low-shank feet on the big boys.

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

I do hope that a replacement for screw exists with an Allen or Torx type head ..what kind of thread is it ?

The mounting screw thread is a regular/weird 9/64"-40 thread, same size and pitch as the Juki LU-562 foot mount screw.

Upon closer inspection, my adapter may actually be home-made from an existing foot, by cutting/filing it just so.

Hmmm, looks like a useful little CNC mill project to me. I'd probably give the mounting hole a standard metric thread size, though (M4 or M3.5). 

IMG_8154.jpg

Edited by Uwe

I suspect that if you could get production going of adapters for short shank feet to long shank machines, you could be onto a nice lucrative sideline there Uwe. :)
Here is wishing you every success with the "experiment" :)

@Uwe..that is exactly what I was thinking about doing with my only presser foot! I actually think that would be the way to go, just due to the fact that low shank presser feet can be had for little to nothing.  I admit, we did somewhat stray from the topic...I do apologize! I very well may just sacrifice my presser foot...that is once I get caught up on all of my other projects! I greatly appreciate that Uwe and agree with @mikesc, I think that there just might be a market for something like this...hmmm?