Guest Tye

Leather pool table cover

Guest Tye

Hi, I would like to get a pool table dust cover that is leather, not the cheap vinyl you see everywhere.  The one I currently have is like the cheap, clear shower liners you can get at wally world.  Is there a reason I can't find something like this?  Does anyone know how I could get one? 

Reason for not being able to get one; probably two - 1. plastic ones are dirt cheap, 2, no-one has thought of making them

Ask a general purpose leather worker to make it for you. It could be made up in upholstery leather. But leather has a finite size so the cover will have to be sewn up in two or three sections for the top depending on the size of your table

Yep, and add to that the fact that a side of cow hide runs about $200, there is just too much area to cover.

I agree with fredk - two pieces of upholstery leather sewed together should cover a pool table.  Cost might be around $85-100 per piece, so not extremely expensive if you really want leather.

In order to cover a 48x96 inch top, plus a fold down valance that is at least 4" tall, you will need three sides. The best way to get them is to buy 2 full closely matched, clean upholstery hides, as long as possible from stem to stern. While you only "need" 48" x 96" for the top, hides tend to average about 96" in length, having some areas near the backbone that can run over 108" and others dropping to 78" and less. An average full hide is about 50 to 53 square feet. Having two full hides will allow your sewer to splice the best sections together to cover the entire top and have enough hanging down to hold it all in place.

Upholstery leather can range in price from $3 a square foot for lesser quality, up to $12 a square foot for awesome sauce. Nice hides can be had in the $5 to $6 a square foot range.

What's left over can be made into new seat covers.

You are probably right Wiz - I bought an upholstery side at Tandy that was pretty inexpensive.

7 hours ago, garypl said:

You are probably right Wiz - I bought an upholstery side at Tandy that was pretty inexpensive.

Tandy sells most of their leather at a flat price, until you get into the top of the line brands. It is possible to go to a Tandy store, hand pick, and score an excellent deal on just about any common type of leather. But, I wouldn't order leather from them sight unseen if appearance and dimensions are critical.

Tandy currently lists large black Zora upholstery hides at $199.99 flat rate (plus gas or shipping and State tax) for up to 50 sq feet.

Otherwise, if ordering upholstery hides online, or over the phone, only deal with somebody who is willing to actually look over the hides before shipping them to you.

Hide House also carries some very nice upholstery hides, ranging all the way up to 65 square feet! They are flat rate priced, between $255 and $420.

Guest Tye

Thanks guys!  That is some good information to go with.  I'll see what I can come up with. 

radon leather Michigan carry full hides

Sho-Tan leather in Chattanooga carries full sides as well as upholstery leather - they are part of American Saddlery and Big Horn Saddlery. They split the sides I've bought from them down to the ounce I've requested as well - a brown latigo would be nice looking on a pool table - but stitching them together would drive me crazy as a guy who plays pool 3-4 times a year. Maybe a smaller table for home use.