Sooo, I finally got an airbrush. I find that denatured alcohol works great for cleaning up, but I broke the OLD dispenser lid off the metal container. I've put the alcohol in some plastic containers that look like the mustard/catsup containers with the conical spout. Do I need to worry about the alcohol causing the plastic to deteriorate? I know that alcohol will cause upholstery fabric (faux leather type stuff) to harden and crack after a time.

2nd question, how about mineral spirits? I see they use it to clean rubber printing rollers, but that's temporary contact. I've got a can of that too, and it cleans up pretty well, too. Pouring out of the large cans into the gravity feed cup of the brush is fraught with peril.

As long as the plastic is HDPE it'll be ok.

Here methylated spirits and other alcohol is often sold in HDPE bottles

I have a small squeeze bottle filled with denatured alcohol and after about 6 months it is fine.  The tip makes it easy to clean my airbrush, just turn the brush upside down, squirt some alcohol in the feed tube, and spray it clean.  Also makes it easy to dilute oil dyes - add dye to airbrush bottle and squirt alcohol into the bottle.

I had a bottle of 98% methyl alcohol from a chemical supply house in its original plastic bottle for over 30 years. Can't say what kind of plastic it is. 

Thanks, guys!

Pretty much what I thought, can't be too careful though. I cleaned a plastic-handled mouth mirror (dental supply guy here) once with MEK...came back and found a small line of plastic powder! THAT stuff is nasty.

So, garypl, you're saying that the expensive small bottle of Fiebings Dye Reducer is a scam? (Thought so).

I never did understand getting a separate product to thin or clean up dyes.  Most places where dyes are sold ALSO sell the thinner. Comes already in it's own bottle, clearly labeled, and MADE FOR these dyes.

Forgetting about the health considerations with denatured... (which are severe)... it just seems like a lot of trouble to save $10. :dunno:

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Thanks, guys!

Pretty much what I thought, can't be too careful though. I cleaned a plastic-handled mouth mirror (dental supply guy here) once with MEK...came back and found a small line of plastic powder! THAT stuff is nasty.

So, garypl, you're saying that the expensive small bottle of Fiebings Dye Reducer is a scam? (Thought so).

I'm not saying it's a scam - I just happen to have denatured alcohol on hand (use to mix shellac) and it is a good solvent for cleaning purposes or to thin dyes.