torker32

When to put machine in reverse?

Hello to all,  The situation is when locking my stitch. It seems no matter when I use reverse the stitches always seem to get knotted up. I've tried putting in Rev. when the needle is down all the way, Same thing happens. Tried it with needle up all the way, still same results. I'm using Cowboy 3200, 277 thread top and bottom. The results are ugly. Can someone please advise me on the proper procedure for locking stitches. Thanks.  ( only on the backside of leather piece )

2 hours ago, torker32 said:

Hello to all,  The situation is when locking my stitch. It seems no matter when I use reverse the stitches always seem to get knotted up. I've tried putting in Rev. when the needle is down all the way, Same thing happens. Tried it with needle up all the way, still same results. I'm using Cowboy 3200, 277 thread top and bottom. The results are ugly. Can someone please advise me on the proper procedure for locking stitches. Thanks.  ( only on the backside of leather piece )

For many machines, reverse after the needle has started to rise.  So the hook has caught the loop.

Tom

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll use that method of putting the machine in Reverse when the needle has caught the loop, and has not left the leather piece. Again thanks.

How's it working? Usually I tell people when it loops underneath to double check the threading or tighten the top tension alittle.Looping is almost always loose upper thread tension.

I stitch on the machine nearly everyday. My machine is a Typical cylinder arm, the back stitches are not perfect - but I have gotten better at it. One thing you should think about is using a lighter thread in the bobbin. I have found (after 20 years of sewing experience) when you have a thick top thread, the bobbin needs something slightly thinner. That might help with the knotting issue and thread jams.

When I sew with a topsttich thread, I never use the same thread in the bobbin. I buy the same thread color in 2 weights, lighter in bobbin.

Teresa

To answer some comments, Thanks for the advice. I made an inside carry holster the other day. I used the method of putting the machine in Rev while the needle was on the up stroke, but still in the leather piece. It did result in a much cleaner stitch. I'll continue to use this procedure. On the comment of using a lighter thread on the bobbin, seems like a good method. I've heard of that before. Might be a time to change.  The Tension procedure seems like it would work, because the loops were always on the bottom piece. Will give that one a try. Again Thanks for the advice.  ( I'll attach pics next time, Like they say, Pics or it didn't happen.)