Mocivnik

Best of various types of finished edges

First of all, a great hello to everyone from Slovenia!

I'm a very new to the leather, although I had wish to sew it by hand for a long time before.

So I came as far as trying to sew the first axe sheath for a start. I've managed to finish it as far as it comes to the edges.

Here are 2 pictures, which shows my current state.

eG3lJ7N.jpg

zoeXmOH.jpg

I'm using 5/6 oz. veg tan leather, which is treated with several coats of Fiebing's Pro Dye (brown) and colorless Fiebing's Resolene.

I'm stuck here, because I don't know how to properly finish the edges, neither would know, what the proper edge finish is. As far as I've managed to read about the leather, I came to the fact, that Fiebing's Edge Kote is one of worst possible finishes on leather sheats and looks very amateur. So I've ordered Eco-Flo's Gum Tragacanth for finishing edges, but I'm still not sure about it.

Am I supposed to dye the edges before I use Gum Tragacanth? 

Are the finishes on picture below proper edge finishes or are there any other possibilities to look properly? (the left one) And if so, how am I possible to reach them?

gallery-1433455650-burnishing.jpg

The pic appears to be either Edge Kote or a Edge paint. Since its veg tan why not just burnish then dye? All you need then is some water and canvas or a smooth stick. Anything smooth as far as that goes. I use pens,wood dowels,and even old blue jeans.

Is that the best edge finish possible? Or in other words, most beautiful?

And how to deal edges with Gum Tragacanth properly? Is that kind of edge finish reachable with Tragacanth?

Don't use the Gum Trag before any kind of dye or paint, it will normally pretty much seal the edges and dye will not penetrate and a paint will not adhere.  I would follow Matt's advice, slick with water first.  If you want to dye the edge do it at this point.  Then you can burnish again...either with water or at this point if you want to use a compound for a glossier edge you could.  Do some searches on here you will find many techniques to finishing edges...find one you like and stick with it.  Some use bees wax, some use the saddle soap bar, some use gum trag.  Play around some and see what you like.  

The edge you like will determine its beauty. Gum Trag,water,or just saddle soap will give you a nice smooth edge. Although you have to dye the edge before you use gum trag. Many videos and different applications on Youtube.

Thanks both, Weaver Leather Supply and Mattsbagger for your replies.

But If I got it right, I'm supposed to first wet the edges with water and sponge and burnish it with wooden leather burnisher, then dye it with same dye as I dyed the surface and burnish it again with wooden leather burnisher. After that, I should apply Gum Tragacanth on edges and for the final time,  burnish it with wooden leather burnisher.

Because I'm new to this, here's my question: Should I use the hand burnisher(the cone with grooves) or is the machine better(the dremel tool)?

Check out Bob Park's pinned post here on LWN,  .Be sure to read (and even download) the PDF in the initial post  It's as good a tutorial on edge finishing veg tanned that you'll find.   There are a lot of variations, but the principals are there.  

A lot of it depends on personal preference and the look that you are going for.   It doesn't take much water to do the initial burnish, just a lightly damp sponge works nicely.  Sometimes, on small pieces, I'll just lick my finger and slick with a little spit (don't tell anybody, but I know there are others that do that too)! 

Dying edges can be a little tricky, and again depends on what you are looking for.  Edges can soak up a lot of dye, get really dark, and even bleed to the front of your leather if you aren't careful!  The loose fibers can really soak it up, so a bit of burnish first helps compress the fibers and slows down dye absorption. I use a Q-tip to dye edges, and pinch it between my fingers to wind the cotton tight (helps to prevent fuzzies leaving dye where you don't want it)!   I also squeeze out most of the dye on the edge of the container before putting it to the leather.  It's best to go sparingly - you can always add more if needed but can't really remove it if you go too heavily.   If you do woodwork, it's not too different from staining/finishing end grain.  An exact color match is pretty hard to get, but for me  that's OK since I like the edges a little darker.  

Personally, I don't like gum tragacanth, as it will discolor your leather if you get a bit past the edge, but a lot of folks use it and get great results - and it's what Al Stohlman suggests in his writings.  As with so many things in leatherwork, there are many ways to get to a good result - sometimes exactly the same, sometimes a bit different - all depending on what YOU like!  Beeswax leaves a duller finish, paraffin shinier and other things leave a glass like edge (one such is Tokonole).  It all depends on what you want for the final look.

Edge finishing chrome tan and edge coat paints(on chrome OR veg tan) are an entirely different subject, and you'll find plenty of info and opinions on that on here as well.  

Bill