KingsCountyLeather

Peening copper rivets

Hi,

ive been looking at a lot of video's for copper rivets...

I can't find any that shows a really good finished penned side of the rivet.

anyone want to post a picture of a set copper rivets that you're proud of and how you achieved that finish?

Oops, spell checker didn't work well here.

"Peening copper rivets"

Oops! I clicked on the topic because I couldn't figure out what it was you might be asking (as someone with enough experience and knowledge not to be using plated pot-metal "rivets").

I look forward to the forthcoming answers, as I haven't been able to find much helpful information, either- another leatherworking "grey area".

- Elizabeth

I will get some photos up, but to me it is understanding the process.  It is like building a foundation.  If you start off badly it cannot be fixed.  So step 1 is to trim the shaft of the rivet to the right length.  Some can do this when making the original cut while others make an initial cut and then trim it down.  A Dremel with cutting wheel helps.  Then, after you have it trimmed, say about 1/8" or so, you can tap it down with a ball peen hammer.  The final touch I use is a doming tool to round it off.

The easiest mistake to make is to leave the shaft too long and then try to make it look good.  It won't.

I look forward to seening your photos.

is it ever a case that the peened side of the river would be the showcase?

Now that's what I am talking about!!!

i think that looks great.

how do you get that finish ?

I prefer to have the peened side visible. The flat factory head, even if you dome it, looks like it belongs on the inside of a pair of Levi's to me.

42 minutes ago, WRLC said:

Here mine but I learned for this guy https://is.gd/ErprhE

And show casing the peened size is a good thing in my book.

Drink Sling 05.jpg

Just saw that video, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for sharing.

8 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Now that's what I am talking about!!!

i think that looks great.

how do you get that finish ?

A 16 oz ball & peen hammer. After using nipper pliers to cut the rivet I just tap with the post with the hammer side to flatten it a bit then peen it with the ball including tapering the edges down to the washer. It take s a good eye but the heavy hammer allows a really controlled tap.

2 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Just saw that video, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for sharing.

That guy is brilliant with copper rivets. Follow him on instagram (@masconleather). He shared his techniques.

The video is great.  A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it's moving.  Notice too how he is using an iron slab.  I do mine on the top of my vintage Sears Craftsman table saw.  Makes a great anvil.

I have found something else to practice tomorrow. That video is so helpfull, and he is so well-versed it looks effortless. I can see a whole line of hopefully not-too-mashed rivets will be my after-dinner entertainment.

4 hours ago, RhodesAveDesigns said:

I have found something else to practice tomorrow. That video is so helpfull, and he is so well-versed it looks effortless. I can see a whole line of hopefully not-too-mashed rivets will be my after-dinner entertainment.

I've look at all his work and this is the first time I've found exactly the type of work I aspire to...

So like you I may get practicing my hammer skills.

I bought a set of dapping taps which take 1 stroke of a mallet to set.  One stroke on the burr side, and one or two to dome the head.  Too easy. The only consideration is how short you cut the shank, and you can either guess or make a gauge like to one in the video.

19 hours ago, 480volt said:

I prefer to have the peened side visible. The flat factory head, even if you dome it, looks like it belongs on the inside of a pair of Levi's to me.

Nailed it!

Where did you get your dapping taps

This is a set of Bob Douglas' rivet setting tools, does sizes 8,9,10,12&14. These are made from stress-proof rod and are beautifully finished on all surfaces. IMG_0414.JPGOne sets the burr, one peens the head and the last domes the factory formed head, though I usually leave it flat. Sometimes I prefer the look of just peening the rivet with a ball-pein hammer, just looks more appropriate on some things.

That's a lovely set of tools.

When peening with a ball peening hammer, do you not distort the washer also?

6 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

That's a lovely set of tools.

When peening with a ball peening hammer, do you not distort the washer also?

Only if you are too heavy handed.  Peening should be done with light taps, not slams like trying to ring the bell at the circus.  Work in a circular pattern to evenly peen the stud.  Don't hit the washer.

Tom