RockyAussie

COWBOY CB4500/441 NARROW FEED DOG + NEEDLE/THROAT PLATE???

Good news. The parts have arrived and are now tested. By putting in the dog foot and needle plate I can sew to 2.5mm from the edge and not have the job sink down the hole. I just stitched some soft garment leather (1.6mm)4oz without even adjusting the tensions and just look at them pictures. The holes in the needle plate did not line up but it holds very well with the one anyway. I'm happy. Hassle Uwe if you want one. I'm off to try a wallet now.:rockon:

Regards Brian

DSC00986_resize.JPG

DSC00987_resize.JPG

DSC00988_resize.JPG

DSC00989_resize.JPG

DSC00990_resize.JPG

DSC00991_resize.JPG

You must be feeling pretty pleased with yourself :cheers:. It wouldn't take much to open out that screw hole with a Dremel and a grinding bit.

30 minutes ago, dikman said:

You must be feeling pretty pleased with yourself :cheers:. It wouldn't take much to open out that screw hole with a Dremel and a grinding bit.

Bit rough but what the hell I'll give it a go. Notice I opened up a slot in the centre foot today and that sure is a pleasure when threading up.:thumbsup:

Where did you end up getting the narrow feed dog and throat plate from? I want to buy a set too.

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Where did you end up getting the narrow feed dog and throat plate from? I want to buy a set too.

Uwe's the culprit. They work great but they are not the normal Chinese cheese so opening up that hole a bit even with a carbide engraving burr is near to not possible.

1/2 cutting and gained 1/2 a mm. One hole holds down well anyway.

I think you'll need to use abrasive (stone) bits to open up that hole. Even carbide can have issues if the steel is good stuff that has been hardened properly - which this obviously is.

I agree. I will have to see if I can find any stones small enough for the job. The top section is only 7mm dia.I've done a fair bit of engraving in the past and with this the burr just skips across the surface.Tested the burr on some mild and no problem. Regards Brian.

Just a wee bit hard, then! I reckon you could get away with opening it enough just for the head of the screw to fit flush, and not worry about the rebate for the head to rest on as there should be enough in the rest of the slot for that.

I'm surprised the throat plate's mounting holes don't line up perfectly. I suspect the holes line up perfectly on an original Juki TSC-441. Ideally, the mounting holes in the throat plate would be elongated/slotted to allow for slight variability in mounting hole location. 

I don't know what type of coating Kwok Hing uses on these parts, but it's definitely their high-end surface treatment. Not all of the Kwok Hing parts have this special coating.

@Wizcrafts: I'm not sure the throat plate and feed dog are available separately as a two-part kit. The four-part kit I had ordered included specialty edge guide feet and was not cheap, even by Kwok Hing standards.

I don't plan to order any more, especially since the mounting holes don't line up perfectly.

Edited by Uwe

10 hours ago, Uwe said:

I don't plan to order any more, especially since the mounting holes don't line up perfectly.

@Uwe Thats a crying shame mate. I think 90% of the work I do on this machine would be done on this dog foot and throat plate, be that I have been grinding the plate some to suit my purposes. Its now shorter on the left side to enable closer in work. Getting all effeminate about whether on some machines only one hole lines up is a sad loss to the limitations this machine suffers without it. I think these 2 pieces could be ordered separately without the other feet as well. Having the other 2 feet is not that big an issue as I am always chopping up feet to suit some purpose or other.  They would work quite well for the intended purpose but a few adjustments would have to be done when changing from 1 foot set to another and I get too pushed for time to bother with that generally. Last time I checked this post it has had over 700 views so I think it is of of interest to some here on LW if not more in the WW. If you really don't want to further re stock, let me know as I will pursue it further. Thank you for your help in this to me so far. Kind regards Brian

DISASTER - A couple of days back I said I'm off to try a wallet now. Did a bit of grinding of the needle plate (about 2mm) to enable getting in a bit closer. Note: I like to stitch across the bridge section when I can as I hate stopping and starting, tying off etc. It went pretty well except I did not glue the liner in myself and although the machine did the stitching well enough the result means I'm going to have to pull it all out and start again:(.

DSC00992_resize.JPG

DSC00995_resize.JPG

DSC00996_resize.JPG

DSC00997_resize.JPG