mwpdx86

Consew P1206rb tension issues?

I recently purchased a new consew p1206rb and am trying to use it with 138 thread in the top and bottom.  It had been working great with 69 thread in both.  With the 138 though, I find I'm having to crank the tension knob down as tight as it will go.  It seems to work ok this way but I'm guessing you shouldn't have to max out the tension under regular circumstances? I'm 99% sure I've got it threaded correctly but maybe not?  Is there anything else that usually causes something like this?

Thanks!

I have not got that machine but with most of the machines I have it is normal to have to increase the top thread tension as well as reduce the bobbin tension. What I do is have another bobbin case set up for the thicker thread so I don't have to fine tune adjust it when I go up in thread size.Regards Brian

Yeah, Id say you need to adjust something somewhere else, I have a Consew 206 and I never have to max out the top tension to get it sew things correctly. When I had a similar problem, turned out I need to reduce bobbin tension by like 1/8 of a turn

Your saying that because ?possibly the bottom side thread is like banjo string tight and not yielding to the top, or not centering the knot in material. Am I picking this up correctly on the top tension maxed

Its a great idea on the purchase of multiple bobbin cases, this I heard from others several times and so made it a priority in doing.  Initially I had the question for myself on some of them tension gauges they sell.  So I had an abstract method, get this, I used 27 grams of weight dropping over the table edge in a hokie;) made canvas pouch and was a good start for a new one in my 92 thread setup. This weight amount was from some projects that I thought the thread stitch was good.

Good day 

Floyd

Did you install a larger needle when you switched from size 69 to size 138 thread?

Yeah, you will need a #23 needle for that #138, some folks get away wih #22, but I have to use a #23

Your bobbin thread should pull up without any tension

Edited by Colt W Knight

The needles it came with were 160 (23) which had been sort of working with the thinner thread but I figured they'd work even better with the right size thread (138).  I'm wondering if there's a bobbin issue.  It seems pretty rough when it comes out of the bobbin case.  Not like there's too much tension exactly but kind of jerky/catchy.  This happens even when there's no tension on the bobbin (the little metal tab isn't touching the thread).  I'm thinking maybe I wound it wrong somehow or...??

The bobbin does need to unwind evenly for best and predictable results. If the bobbin thread is catchy or jerky then your tensions and knot placement will be somewhat random and you will be very frustrated. 

Make sure your thread comes off the cone nice and smooth and that your thread guide hole is directly and far enough above the cone to provide even unwinding from the cone. Use a thread sock/net if the thread is springy and tends to unravel and fall down off the cone. I've also had thread cones that were sticky, usually old ones of unknown origin.

Double check to your bobbin winding thread path and watch it as it winds (raise the feet and pull the top thread out of the needle when doing dedicated bobbin winding runs.) Try winding a perfect bobbin with very even winding tension and even windings. Or buy some pre-wound bobbins for testing or reference.

On 09/06/2017 at 11:47 AM, Uwe said:

The bobbin does need to unwind evenly for best and predictable results. If the bobbin thread is catchy or jerky then your tensions and knot placement will be somewhat random and you will be very frustrated. 

Make sure your thread comes off the cone nice and smooth and that your thread guide hole is directly and far enough above the cone to provide even unwinding from the cone. Use a thread sock/net if the thread is springy and tends to unravel and fall down off the cone. I've also had thread cones that were sticky, usually old ones of unknown origin.

Double check to your bobbin winding thread path and watch it as it winds (raise the feet and pull the top thread out of the needle when doing dedicated bobbin winding runs.) Try winding a perfect bobbin with very even winding tension and even windings. Or buy some pre-wound bobbins for testing or reference.

It seems to be winding reasonably well, maybe a bit 'lumpy' sometimes but then it goes back and evens itself out, if that makes any sense.  The bobbin winder was definitely not set up correctly when I got it though, so it's definitely an uncertainty. The knots are uneven, though, like you said (some centered, some on top, some on the bottom). 

The thread itself feels very stiff, which may be part of the problem. Kind of like crinkley fishing line or something. It feels rough coming out of the bobbin case no matter what the tension is set to.

This sounds like a thread problem. Buy different thread and try again, top and bottom.

Watching closely as it was stitching just now, I noticed that the center foot is way above the material when it's pulling the stitch tight.  Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't seem right.  Almost like if you tried to sew with the foot up on a regular machine.

....?

Edited by mwpdx86

11 minutes ago, mwpdx86 said:

Watching closely as it was stitching just now, I noticed that the center foot is way above the material when it's pulling the stitch tight.  Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't seem right.  Almost like if you tried to sew with the foot up on a regular machine.

....?

Nope. That is not how it should be. The inside foot is usually adjusted so it hits the material just as or after the tip of the needle. It should stay on the material until the needle has lifted out of the material, or at least almost until then. You can raise and lower the inside foot, as per your user manual, to get this to happen. It is the inside foot that raises and lowers the presser foot. When the inside foot begins to lift off the material, the outside foot should be smack down on the top layer, holding it in place.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Nope. That is not how it should be. The inside foot is usually adjusted so it hits the material just as or after the tip of the needle. It should stay on the material until the needle has lifted out of the material, or at least almost until then. You can raise and lower the inside foot, as per your user manual, to get this to happen. It is the inside foot that raises and lowers the presser foot. When the inside foot begins to lift off the material, the outside foot should be smack down on the top layer, holding it in place.

I think that's how it is.  I meant that the inside foot is off the material when the take up lever is pulling up on the thread so the material sort of puckers/lifts.

On 09/19/2017 at 8:52 AM, Wizcrafts said:

This sounds like a thread problem. Buy different thread and try again, top and bottom.

Do you have any recommendations for a brand/type of thread that should work? The stuff I got was just whatever bonded nylon machine thread they had at the local leather place.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, mwpdx86 said:

Do you have any recommendations for a brand/type of thread that should work? The stuff I got was just whatever bonded nylon machine thread they had at the local leather place.

Thanks!

I buy thread from many sources. Sometimes even a formerly perfect spool from a supplier will cause problems with the next spool I open. I try to find Made In USA or Canada (Cansew) thread. Otherwise, I buy Cowboy brand bonded nylon and polyester thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, or, once in a while, Weaver's heavily lubricated bonded nylon thread..