D2G

Cape falcon

Hello!

Well I wanna show you my first and last work, laborious work with small needles, sewing exit in the middle of the thickness of leather, no glue, only sewing, crazy job ha ha. Thickness leather is 1,2 mm, or 2 oz.

Cheers.

IMG_20170518_091932.jpg

What an awesome little falcon's hood!

That's impressive work!

Thanks to all and excuse my English, yes it is a hood not a cape .

ByNelson first I want to tell you that the explanation is not easy for my English, I hope you and others can understand me, come on!
The work begins with a correct pattern and in this case the name is (Arab hood), so the first problem is that the patterns are not correctly on the Internet, see this example ... pattern
Arabian hood is a hood in a pattern or a piece, there are many other pattern, holland, kirguiz etc ... all this is to do with pattern two pieces.
After that you need to reshape the Arabian pattern to adjust this for your bird's head and obviously if you do more needs for hoods patterns for other species, eagles, goshawk, falcon etc, (only in hawks are 19 subspecies and each with different sizes ... this is additional information, sorry.)

Ok, knowing this I make a first pattern to my bird with the material called goma eva "here in Spain" because it is cheap, flexible and can sew easy, when I have the correct sizes unpick the sewing to carry the pattern with a pencil in a piece of cardboard. Now makes small and continuous holes all around the cardboard pattern, after working with sandpaper the opposing cardboard holes to open the holes and (now the pattern has been saved for future works ), carry this pattern to a leather peace with a small cloth (I do not know the English name see that ... ??????I put in flour or plaster, when finish you have contour of pattern in small dots white. Cut this perfectly and sew it, sewing is the most laborious work, nobody shows it correctly on youtube, but I have my own video, I try to upload for here, be patient, ... meantime basically is exit stitching hole through of the thickness of the leather, get the union of the ends.

I promise upload a sewing video...

Edited by D2G

1 hour ago, D2G said:

Now makes small and continuous holes all around the cardboard pattern, after working with sandpaper the opposing cardboard holes to open the holes and (now the pattern has been saved for future works ), carry this pattern to a leather peace with a small cloth (I do not know the English name see that ... ??????I put in flour or plaster, when finish you have contour of pattern in small dots white.

I promise upload a sewing video...

Hi - nice piece of work very smart. I've heard the perforated paper and powder pattern transfer method referred to as 'poncing' but I don't know what the official name of this method is. We'd probably call the cloth holding the powder a dobber.

Cheers

Harvey

Hello everybody.

I've had time to make my promise, so...

Sewing a hood

dGinLeatherCraft, thank you for notice. Yesterday try to search the word with a translator and not obtain solution, so good, we can use poncing ha ha.

DP: Oh damn, I read myself say peace of leather, ha ha, piece of leather I meant.

Edited by D2G

Pouncing ( note the letter U in there ) "poncing" is something different ( it is a slang/argot word, and is a "bad word" for something else )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pounce_(art)

"pouncing" is how the designs ( or cartoons* ) for frescoes ( like the Sistine chapel for example ) were transferred to walls and ceilings..very appropriate word for falconry, hawks, eagles falcons owls etc ( in fact all "birds of prey" ) are said to pounce on their prey..sometimes in older English they are said to "stoop" onto their prey..

*the rough sketches that were made for frescoes etc is where the word cartoons comes from.

"pounce" is also used to describe the actions that cats and dogs, and even spiders ( and in general all carnivores ) do , when they jump on their prey to attack it.

Nice work D2G

ps ..I have a "pouncing wheel" somewhere, looks a lot like what leatherworkers call a "pricking wheel" used to run along the lines ( piercing them ) of the overlay drawing ( cartoon ) when it is fastened to the surface ( wall, whatever ) that you want to transfer the design to.

Edited by mikesc

My fingers hurt just watching that! Well done!:thumbsup:

mikesc... JD62 :specool:

Please some MOD can rename the post to... Hood falcon. I can't do it.
Thank you so much