Hernancito

Hello, all. Oil painter from NJ **work attached**

Hello, leather community.  

After years of longing to make leather goods I finally decided to pull the trigger, buy the tools and make my wife a purse for Christmas.   I’ve been a chromatography engineer in the pharmaceutical industry for the last 11 years w aspirations to make it as an oil painter.  

Picked up a bunch of books on leather working and tooling.   So far I’ve only made a head knife sheath from scratch and am moving on to the purse.   Leather working is much more complex than I anticipated, which is a turn on for me I didn’t expect.  

Below are some of my paintings and the sheath.   Look forward to getting to know you all.  

Ps.  I also make custom made slingshots.  If there are any shooters, please hit me up!

Wish you all a great Sunday  

www.faraciart.com

87DE4086-C59B-4722-82B6-70D136DC511F.jpeg

2CBBD021-5EC3-4218-8C5A-EFEFAC75CF12.jpeg

Edited by Hernancito

Good stuff, Hernie. Welcome aboard. A purse may be a little ambitious for your first real project. Maybe look towards a kit or at least a pattern set from someone. 

Going at a purse from scratch sounds beyond my abilities (and I have dabbled for awhile now).

Good luck.

Welcome also from Jersey. You seem to have a good head about yourself. If you find that your purse project is beating you up, take a step back, take up another project that can help you expand and hone your skills. You seem to have a fair grip of the basics... its only up from there. Best of luck!

Thanks, fellas.  

I’m overwhelmed for sure, but making progress on the daily by staring at it, taking notes and trying the get the start to finish sequence correct on paper before commencing.  

Made a mock-up out of watercolor paper that’s helping me visualize things n allows for easy color change/design adjustments.     

Off to check out hardware n strap types.   

That head knife sheathe tells me you have a talent for this, no doubt because you are already an artist. However, you may want to get a kit for your first purse. After that you can use the pattern that came with the kit to cut your own, and tweak the pattern to your liking.

One thing I'd darn well like to do with the Tandy kits is get rid of all the holes for lacing, and saddle stitch the purse instead.

Welcome!
If you're making bags, you should go spend some time viewing the video instructions at Leodis Leather, provided by Ian Atkinson over in the UK.
He walks you through some of the processes and planning, and you might find it  helpful!
Here is his website: http://ianatkinson.net/leather/videos.htm (Make sure you look at the whole page, not just the top. His longer videos are near the bottom).

Edited by DJole
adding info

Hello, Sheila .    The bag I’m making is fairly simple.   No gusset, but it does have a lining which had me stumped, but think I’ve partially solved it.

Djole, I’ve watched both of their vids.   Great stuff!   ESP the long ones.  

Nice to meet you both. 

Edited by Hernancito

Hi from NJ. Keep going...

you got this. Nice painting. Nice case. From my experience, an artist can make anything they want to. Pic is my first time sculpting Styrofoam and using plaster for a stage set. because I can sculpt I've spent $1000 plus on leathercraft just because I really liked making leather bags and nunchuk cases when I was a kid. It's all about faith in yourself.

gates of hell.jpg