superpacker

Tear Drop Hole Punch

Can anyone recommend a source for a tear drop shaped punch (if that’s what you call them) for punching belt holes? I know it’s a traditional shape for holes on work belts, but seem hard to find. Also, if they come in sizes not sure what size I’d need. Would like to buy just one punch. 

Ovals are most people use, I think. Tandy used to have them in the interchangeable sets. Then, for some reason, discontinued them right before I decided to buy a set. You can get them individually, but I'm not sure what size you would need.

The oval is the most common, but just last week, I saw a belt with the hole for the Sam Browne stud. That's a first for me, but apparently it's a thing! The one for the stud is a hole with a cut line adjacent to it. It allows the round stud to push through, then the reduced diameter below the round stud holds the belt. (O-) kind of like that, but with the line intersecting the hole. This would allow a ball stud, instead of the typical small rod on the back of a trophy type of buckle. 

Superpacker, is that what you're looking for? Pics?

This is what I'm talking about. The ball stud stamp needs to be correct for the size stud you are using, as is the oval, however, I only use this oval punch for all my belts and it works fine.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

I have seen one other like he is talking about on a belt, not sure where the maker got the punch.  I had bought the Tandy oval punch and also bought 2 or 3 of the weaver brand oval and I must say the higher price for the weaver is well worth the extra money, however you need to have the skill to maintain the sharpness of the punch over time just like keep blades and other cutting tools sharp.  If I had more money I would invest in the weaver tools you just get what you pay for, and you cant expect to receive everything extremely sharp out of the box as some members here feel you should get, so again you need to be capable and have the tools to keep those things sharp, just mo own opinion your mileage might vary.

True dat, oldnslow! There's leatherwork...then there's sharpening. More effort expended for the latter, leads to less effort expended for the former. 

By the way, the keyhole punch is NOT the same size as the stud! As I recall, the 7.0 punch is for the 12mm stud. Don't quote me on that, it's the only one I've actually done, and don't remember exactly what the relationship was, but there's a good list of those on the Tandy website.

Thanks for all of the comments. The tear drop shape is rare - seen into mostly on older leather goods But I know two commercial makers who use it. If I couldn’t find one, I wanted to get an oval, which I like better than a Circle. Can someone tell me what size oval I would need?

As shown, I use an oval #07, 7/32. I also use rounds, but I find that the oval lies smoother, so stick with that unless someone requests something different. Remember, there is no "right or wrong". 

I don't know if there is any truth to it but I have heard that the oval is either stronger or will last longer over a round.

Yes - don’t think there’s a right or wrong but oval does seem better. I think tear Drop has the same benefits - mainly - laying nicer

Maybe you should look at some fillegree (spelling) punches for a tear drop shape.

And any tool, not from a custom maker, should be needing sharpening before use.

I think custom makers sharpen their stuff for the customer just to make sure the customer is pleased and feels like they got what they paid for.

Osborne Pippin punch makes Sam Brown style holes with a single slit. Not cheap but better than those Tandy things.

https://www.csosborne.com/no105.htm

I knew that I saw one somewhere, I have been up late I was cutting out some leathers for a project I am working on then sat down here to unwind a bit.  But I went to Rocky Mountain leather supply and found the exact punch you are looking for, I am kinda tired do I didn't think to copy the link, but just look up the name I mentioned then peruse all the pages.

Good luck

I use a craftool as shown above and prefer it over the look of the round holes.  Off the top of my head I don't recall the size but it may look large to some people.  It was the look I was going for on my belt.  Keep in mind you need to be more careful with your alignment when using an oval punch.  I still manage to get them off just enough to make me nuts.  I think all of us share a certain amount of OCD.  

All the best!

Scott

Belt in progress.jpg

On 12/14/2017 at 7:28 PM, alpha2 said:

but just last week, I saw a belt with the hole for the Sam Browne stud.

I have a buddy that's made a name for himself making belts using Sam Brown studs.  I have 2 of them.  Fantastic belts and buckle less too.  It's leather where the buckle would be.  

5 hours ago, chiefjason said:

I have a buddy that's made a name for himself making belts using Sam Brown studs.  I have 2 of them.  Fantastic belts and buckle less too.  It's leather where the buckle would be.  

You have a picture of that?

I know those as button punches used for Sam Browne studs. Expensive for what they are. I just punch the hole and then put a slit into the leather at the hole

2 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Well that is just genius. And properly marketed. I could use a belt that doesn't dig into my belly.