Mjolnir

Tool Modification

A big Thanks for the point about the rolling eyes, I did not know that so if I have used it forgive my ignorance about it's us, and nice job on the customized tool that looks great!!

On 1/18/2018 at 6:09 PM, Mjolnir said:

I wish I could say, 'done', but I still have more to do. I used an oil based leather dye for the black, I used a small art brush. It wasn't quite dry and I went over it with a red oak wood stain. yeah a wood stain over leather. it started to blend. a fortunate accident ( I went back in with touch up on the black to create sunburst of a sort). now I hope this thing dries hard after a couple of days.

20180118_185821_resized.jpg

You must really love that mallet, I think you did a fantastic job adding your feeling to it and hope it feels as good as you hoped it would there's nothing that compares to making a tool your own  great job so far can't wait to see the Turks head finishing the the wrap! I have a couple of old Osbourne mallets that are at least 15 years old? they don't get used as I have 3 main mauls that I made/use.  

Edited by Sanch

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, bullmoosepaddles said:

You gone and done it now. My wife wants her mallet handle sanded down and me to make strands and braid hers. She can do her own burning. 

Great job Sir. Beautiful and creative work. Thank you for sharing. 

I love having customized tools in my shop. Makes them a pleasure to use and shows pride in oneself.   

any progress? my first Saturday off in 5 weeks. I bought a copper sheet from HL today and hand sawed some strips and hammered them. wishing I could do this stuff all day every day!

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:28 AM, Mjolnir said:

stretched copper tube in it for an as yet undecided accoutrement. 20180107_151159_resized_1.thumb.jpg.a72ba74f263bed6f00ebe992cfa91d55.jpg

Good looking mods, Mjolnir. I do like your accoutrements', undecided and otherwise.

Rather than the copper nails in the braid, I prefer a whipped end, but that's a personal choice from my fishing rod building. 

1 minute ago, Rockoboy said:

Good looking mods, Mjolnir. I do like your accoutrements', undecided and otherwise.

Rather than the copper nails in the braid, I prefer a whipped end, but that's a personal choice from my fishing rod building. 

Can you show an example? I'm doing turks heads but I'm also making my lace for that and trying to not cover the lettering. I keep second guessing myself. I am wrapping hammered copper strips 1/4" around the mallet head on both sides to cover the manufactures brass screws, and going to burn some design into it. I have a nice scull bead to hang from a braided cord through the copper hole in the handle. today was my first free time in a month. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Can you show an example?

I can put something together over the next couple of days.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:47 AM, Mjolnir said:

Can you show an example? I'm doing turks heads

This is what I meant by a "whipped end". The 1st pic is started and finished by running the end under itself. The 2nd pic uses a separate piece of lace to finish the ends.

Leather binding 01.jpg

Leather binding 02.jpg

@Mjolinar

Have not got to the wifes mallet yet. But I did get started modifying some short boards laying around the shop lately.

Its a work in process. But I want it to look good. I intend to take your clam idea about sitting on the couch, and sit it in a vacent chair side space, in the living room. I can then sew and listen to TV, as well as spend time close to the wife. Everyone will be happy and maybe a few bucks can be made in the process.

I like the idea of being not only close to home, but actually in the house. 

20180217_215722_resized.jpg