koreric75

New member/recently bitten by leather bug

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and post a couple of pics since I picked up leather work just over a year ago.  These are a couple of fly fishing reel cases, one of the first things I made that was not just tooling practice on coasters...lol.

Great to find a great informative group like this, looking forward to sharing and learning more.

Eric

20161216_234258.jpg

Well done. They look great. 

Thank you,

I got sidetracked working on a project and forgot to add anymore...the leather valet and a double head axe cover for a buddy..

20170120_213058.jpg

20170121_112755.jpg

Nice work, I like the fly reel cases

Edited by Fire88

Good job on all those projects. I like to share these words with new new comers....

Start in small batches of the same small item. This will give you great yield from your leather while you develop all the techniques. It will give you more time to practice each step. Plus if you botch a few you can keep progressing without starting over.

And here is a great book to start with.

KIMG0056-1170x2080.JPG

9 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Nice work, I like the fly reel cases

Thanks fire88, I have learned quite a bit since i did those, my fishing bro was very stoked with them even though i felt they were not as great as they could've been...i told him i'd work up another set but he saaid they're perfect and holding up great.

Just now, bikermutt07 said:

Good job on all those projects. I like to share these words with new new comers....

Start in small batches of the same small item. This will give you great yield from your leather while you develop all the techniques. It will give you more time to practice each step. Plus if you botch a few you can keep progressing without starting over.

And here is a great book to start with.

KIMG0056-1170x2080.JPG

agreed bikermutt, I'm very stingy with my leather and usually buy economy specials from tandy to practice and if things turn out I'll use some of my better veg-tan...i recently did some coffee travel mug sleeves and used lambskin, after tooling i discovered that the leather has a huge amount of stretch...lol, but after that first mistake the  rest came along.  I'm a fan of Mr. Stohlman, i have quite a few digital downloads of his books and instruction.  

Here's one you may like, i did an 8-plait braid on my ultra's crashbars, finished off with spanish ring and turkish knots...

17016980_1471708689508862_2300083856554255661_o.jpg

That is cool.