superpacker

Letter Stamping Tips?

When using letter stamps, especially small ones, are there any tips or tricks to make sure the letters are level and evenly spaced? Any other tips and tricks you veterans could recommend for doing letter stamping, e.g. monograms, are also appreciated. But leveling spacing is my primary concern.

I don't stamp letters too often. but here goes;

Recently I made a couple of adjustable frames like this one sold by Tandy;

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/leather-stamp-guide

Mostly I just clamp a thick piece of wood across the leather. It needs to be thicker [deeper] than the letter stamp and very wide so as not to leave an impression on the leather. I use this as my base line. I leave the letter just stamped in place and put the next letter stamp against it. Make sure the edges of the letter stamps are smooth and even and free of casting flash. Many I have have little nubs sticking out on the edges which can throw the alignment off. A few strokes of a metal file quickly removes them.  Work slowly and carefully, make sure your letter is the right way up, hold tight to alignment board and to the leather and make a positive strike. if you need to strike more than once try not to have a bounce as that will cause the letter to mis-align slightly

I created a stamping jig out of heavy cardboard/pressboard the with big enough to fit my stamps. Clamp it to the piece with clip binders. Line up scribed on the jig. Use light pressure to check my alignment, press firmly and ..... whack! Just a tip, it may seem like if you hold it close to the piece and hold with a death grip it will go better. For me not so much. Firm grip near the top is all I need.

Hope it helps.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I don't stamp letters too often. but here goes;

Recently I made a couple of adjustable frames like this one sold by Tandy;

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/leather-stamp-guide

Mostly I just clamp a thick piece of wood across the leather. It needs to be thicker [deeper] than the letter stamp and very wide so as not to leave an impression on the leather. I use this as my base line. I leave the letter just stamped in place and put the next letter stamp against it. Make sure the edges of the letter stamps are smooth and even and free of casting flash. Many I have have little nubs sticking out on the edges which can throw the alignment off. A few strokes of a metal file quickly removes them.  Work slowly and carefully, make sure your letter is the right way up, hold tight to alignment board and to the leather and make a positive strike. if you need to strike more than once try not to have a bounce as that will cause the letter to mis-align slightly

I use a similar process, but I use an arbor press to push the stamps into the leather.  Works great and you don’t ever have to double hit the stamps, eliminating risk of a blurred image.

Gary

I want hexnhit. :clapping:

12 hours ago, garypl said:

I use a similar process, but I use an arbor press to push the stamps into the leather.  Works great and you don’t ever have to double hit the stamps, eliminating risk of a blurred image.

Gary

I bought a press for stamping, buts it not a permanent fixture yet, not till I build a new work bench. In the meantime, for one or a few stampings its quicker to just set up the wood bar and whack the stamp with a mallet

What is hexnhit?

6 hours ago, fredk said:

I bought a press for stamping, buts it not a permanent fixture yet, not till I build a new work bench. In the meantime, for one or a few stampings its quicker to just set up the wood bar and whack the stamp with a mallet

What is hexnhit?

http://hexnhitstamps.com

There is a post on this forum that has a tutorial on letter stamping with Letterpress type. I've been purchasing and using letterpress type for leather for years. IMO the letter stamps made for the leather industry are garbage. Years ago I had build frames etc to hold them and still was not satisfied with the outcome. Foundry letterpress type can be found on eBay and will allow perfect text impressions. I simply build my words and tape them together with electrical tape.  Just make sure you know the size if you purchase some font. They are sized in the printing trade by points and they are not consistent. Sometimes the points refer to the entire block the letter is on and sometimes the letter size on the block. I suggest always confirming the letter size. There are a ton of fonts and sizes available!