seabee

Leather thickness

I see such great leatherwork here.  Was wondering when buying your leather do you have the leather split to one thickness?

The molding and boning on holsters just outstanding.

Seabee

When you buy leather you normally select the thickness you want.  If you request a thinner piece, let's say from Wickett & Craig, and you have to have it split down from a thicker piece - you pay the same price as you would buying the hide unsplit.  At least that's been my experience.

Gary

garypl,  thanks for the info. I thought I could buy something like 6/7 oz. and have it split to all one thickness, say 5 or 6 oz. I try Springfield Leather and was told they couldn't do a single thickness. I was thinking on calling OH and W&C.  I'm also trying to figure out weights to have on hand in the shop (hobby).  I seen a holster by Dwight on here for a S & W Shield That I would like to try to make, but only have 1-1/2 oz. leather.

Thanks for your help

Seabee

16 minutes ago, seabee said:

garypl,  thanks for the info. I thought I could buy something like 6/7 oz. and have it split to all one thickness, say 5 or 6 oz. I try Springfield Leather and was told they couldn't do a single thickness. I was thinking on calling OH and W&C.  I'm also trying to figure out weights to have on hand in the shop (hobby).  I seen a holster by Dwight on here for a S & W Shield That I would like to try to make, but only have 1-1/2 oz. leather.

Thanks for your help

Seabee

Weaver leather had a splitting service they offer for the leather they sale as does W&C. Obviously, it will add time to your order. Most of what is available is usually available in the thicker widths. 

Also, splitting leather is not as "cut and dry" as one might think. Firm temper leathers split well. However you can't take off one ounce at one time. A few ounces have to come off at a time.

Soft spongey leather doesn't split well at all. At least not on a small scale splitter.

What about investing in your own splitter so that you can choose whatever thickness a job requires?  Comes in handy for thinning/tapering ends too.

I buy my veg-tan from directly from Wickett and Craig.  I have them split it to my desired weight.  The last couple harness sides I’ve also had them stake it 4 times to make temper softer. The harness leather, split down to 5/6 ounce and staked works great for totes, backpacks, etc. I’ve found that by buying direct I’m able to get the weight, temper and quality I want. 

4 hours ago, terryHHI said:

I buy my veg-tan from directly from Wickett and Craig.  I have them split it to my desired weight.  The last couple harness sides I’ve also had them stake it 4 times to make temper softer. The harness leather, split down to 5/6 ounce and staked works great for totes, backpacks, etc. I’ve found that by buying direct I’m able to get the weight, temper and quality I want. 

What is stake-ing?  I have never heard of that before.

neither have I so please clue us all in on staking.

Seabee, here are a few pointers that can very depending on the maker, 10oz leather is about the heaviest you would want to go on a holster, it would be good and heavy weighted but little to no definition in the leather, 8/9 oz leather still a very heavy weight holster with a little better definition, 7/8 oz a good range of weight and can get very good definition out of the leather.  there might be some guys who will use 5/6 but I don't know of anyone off hand but I am sure someone will chime in.  After I bought a few different store bought holsters I felt for what I was paying for I could do better.  and I started reading everything I could get my hands on and started to build my tools collection for what I thought I would need to build a decent holster.  With the computer age now reaching young adulthood it is not someone is reinventing the wheel, there are patterns, advice all at the tip of one's finger tips, and this website has a ton of people that will offer help and some great advice all free for the asking.  You will see all levels of work here and with a little thick skin you can put something on the board and have it picked apart all with the intent of making you a better leather worker, good luck and look forward to seeing some of your stuff.   and oh how I miss some good Tacos from old town down there.

Bikermutt07, Thanks for the info, helping me understand how leather splitting is preformed.

Tugadude, I do have a 6" splitter,  its getting harder for these 73 year old hands to hold and pull the leather.

TerryHHI, Is stake-ing where you spread eagle the hide on the ground with 4 stakes and walk all over it to make it soft? lol I have no idea what most leather term mine..

OLDNSLOW,  I like how you pointed out the difference in the leather, it will help me out a lot when I figure out what leather to keep on hand. 

I attended the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show last May.  Kylie Ruffner is a sales rep for W&C and was working their booth. I told her I loved the W&C leather but I wanted leather that was softer. She said they can stake the leather and the more times they stake it the softer it gets. I told her I wanted to make totes and duffles and she recommended I get them staked 4 times. I believe Mattsbagger is correct, the leather is run through a roller press. There is a small cost for staking, but I don’t remember the exact amount  

I have worked with both Kylie Ruffner and Dave McCracken at W&C. They have both been patient while I ask them all my questions and work hard to get me exactly what I want.  You can find their contact info here - http://wickett-craig.com/direct-sales/  No connection, just happy customer.

Terry

Kylie is a great lady. She wasn't even supposed to be at Sheridan last year. We had ordered 1 side before that and she remembered who my wife was from talking on the phone 4 months earlier. Will be talking to her tomorrow again as need to more sides again. It's amazing how fast you can run through a side doing just small goods. Lol