f1humlam

What is your suggestion?

So I've made a minimalist wallet and I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep it closed. Magnets are one of my thoughts, but would be curious to hear other ideas.  See the wallet in the attachment. I want to be able to access the cards without having to move any kind of band or something. A button would be another option I suppose. Wallet Pics

I'm guessing the cash just lays between the two sides? If so I would use a Sam Brown stud, if you have enough length to still fit the bills in it.

I used to carry a wallet not that different than that for years I found the best way to keep it closed was to keep it in my pocket.. Seriously I never had it open up in my pocket. dropping it on the floor that is a whole different story.

I reckon using thinner leather would help the wallet not springing open too much. you seem to have very thick leather in the picture on your wallet, this could be the reason it is wanting to open a lot. all the best, jimi.

Recommend you use thinner leather for starters.  For bill retention (assuming they are intended to go in the middle) you can use various types of clips.  Some have springs, some just upon up like a bobbi pin.  I will try to upload a pic later showing one option.

Those first pictures are kind of deceiving of how much it actually opens. I used thicker leather because I like slick down the rough side so it thins it out a bit. Here is a picture of it just laying down. I think there is enough clearance room at the top for a button? Wallet side pick https://imgur.com/a/IYU9f

if the posts are long enough, I'd say a glove snap would work but they usually work best on thinner leather. Sam Brown button stud could be uncomfortable on the leg. Maybe velcro?

Yeah I was thinking that or magnet maybe. Velcro would clash with the leather I think. I could maybe pull off the Sam brown button to the side of where the cards go and above the cash. 

"What is your suggestion ?"
That you upload your images here and not to 3rd party sites such as imgur ( who are, as I have posted a few days ago, in the red and who will ether go under or have to charge, like all the other image hosters have..when they are not paid, the images disappear, and anyone reading this thread will not see them , because there will be nothing at the end of your links.Loads of threads ( and "sigs" ) and even some tutorials here have this problem already ..the "please upgrade your account" message in some sigs in an example.

Well I tried to upload directly and the site wouldn't accept them due to the size. Not sure what you want me to do about that as I can't control the limitations on file size.  I want the image quality to be the best possible in order to show what I am trying to ask. 

The size limit here allows for extremely detailed images to be uploaded..as you can see from the images in this thread.
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/78563-show-your-shop/?do=getNewComment
All you have to do is to reduce the data size of your images..which usually means shrink them to be 800 x 600 pixels..do that and you'll get about 5 of them within the 1.4 megs total image data limit per post..or make multiple posts.

don't know how to shrink them ? say what your operating system is ( windows "something"<=which one , mac, bsd, linux , android, iphone )..and someone will be able to tell you how to shrink them with free software.

Edited by mikesc

Not trying to redesign your wallet, but another idea would be to sew through one long edge and leave a flap open like this one.  Stays closed and retains bills securely.

image.jpeg

@bikermutt07 turned me on to the picresizer app the other day. It's free, simple, and works.

Cool. Ill try that. Is there any spring latch type buttons. Something I could slide to have it open and then click it back in when it is closed?

Photo Resizer in the Google play store. It's free. If you reduce your cell pics at 50% you can get three in a post.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Not trying to redesign your wallet, but another idea would be to sew through one long edge and leave a flap open like this one.  Stays closed and retains bills securely.

image.jpeg

I like that idea, Tuga.

I think this corner is where I want to put something and I think a folding latch slide one would be cool and kind of original. 

20180114_203539_crop_800x600.jpg

1 minute ago, f1humlam said:

I think this corner is where I want to put something and I think a folding latch slide one would be cool and kind of original. 

20180114_203539_crop_800x600.jpg

You could fit a small Sam Brown stud there.

As mentioned above the leather is kind of thick. I don't think it would cause a problem or look out of place.

I am a newbie, so don't have any solutions to offer you, but I would suggest to be careful with magnets. I had a magnetic money clip that I carried credit cards in. Drawing them out over the magnetic strip demagnetized them and I had to get new cards. With chips nowadays it probably isn't too big a problem, but I also had a parking garage ticket get messed up and had to argue my way out of paying the maximum fee when the ticket wouldn't scan.

It is only a quarter of an inch from one side to another.  Where would you suggest going to get a kind of skinnier one? 

20180114_210015_crop_800x600.jpg

49 minutes ago, f1humlam said:

It is only a quarter of an inch from one side to another.  Where would you suggest going to get a kind of skinnier one? 

20180114_210015_crop_800x600.jpg

Tandy has small Sam Brown studs.

Cool. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm also thinking of maybe using some of the stitching thread to make a little holder. 

14 hours ago, Tugadude said:

image.jpeg

Looks like a good solution.  I like it!

Don't know if this would work, but the first thing that pops in my mind is Velcro.