EdgarM

Is this a left singer 45k?

Hi, someone is selling this near me and asking 120€ for it...

I asked the seller for the model number and he replied just "6"

in the description it market as shoemaker sewing machine.

Thank for any help

932812634_3_1000x700_maquina-de-sapateiro-coleces-antiguidades.jpg

Ask the seller for a picture where we can actually see something. It looks very much like a black cat in a dark alley on a moonless night to me.

Or just go there, check it out in person and take some decent pictures yourself to share here. 

It may be a very cool machine, actually. You'll never know for sure unless you go see it in person.

Uwe, my thoughts exactly! If the owner is thinking they are going to sell this machine using such a TERRIBLE photo, they are seriously in need of a reality check!

I'll 2nd that it's a 18class.

Lights-on picture of a Singer 18-2:

Singer 18-2.jpg

Thanks for that Uwe :-) Iwas following , and was somewhat in the dark as to what was the subject, as was the subject.
Were / are there many left handed versions of machines, not just Singers ?

Edited by mikesc

I am having some difficulty contacting the seller, is this machine worth 120€? 

can a get parts for it like the more popular singer 29k?

Thank again for the help everyone

edit: for comparason, I paid 400€ for a 29k58 head and base, this one seem to by just head

Edited by EdgarM

If it's complete and works then it's probably worth way more than 120€.

I doubt you can get many (or any) parts for it other than generic needles and maybe a hook, if you're lucky.

This Singer 18 is a totally different design and super rare compared to the common Singer 29K. The Singer 18 probably weighs three times as much as a Singer 29K, too. 

hooks and bobbins are available (same as Class 17) some other bits may work from other machines (Class 16, Class17...) but you have to look for them. You sometimes even find these machines with a wheel feed mechanism. These are rather light duty sewing machines, designed for sewing shoe upper, decorative stitches, sewing wallets and hats. They are by far not as heavy as the 45K. The bobbins are rather small and they usually can handle up to  #30 / #25 thread - maybe #20 (Metric) but you will not get much #20 thread on the bobbin. Machine has nor reverse. Comparable machines from other brands are Pfaff 23, 25, 28, Adler 48 (all right standing but the same class). Hope this helps a little bit.

BTW - just checked my records and found an Adler 48 (same machine class) brochure - it says the bobbin can hold 22m of size 40 (metric) thread.

13 hours ago, mikesc said:

Were / are there many left handed versions of machines, not just Singers ?

Seiko still makes their version of the 17 and 18, the TE and TF class, but these are the only ones I have come across. I used to have a Singer 17U141, which was a 1980s Singer-badged Seiko TE. Very nice machine, well made and had a reverse pedal, which was handy. Bobbins were small but readily available -- you could tell it was a legacy design considering the ratio of cylinder diameter to bobbin size. Never could get it to be happy with anything bigger than TKT40 thread so I sold it on.

Just so you know the shipping weight,the 29K standard arm weighs 60Lb or 27Kg,the 18 class weighs 38Lbs or 17Kg.

What Matt S said.

The 18 is still in production as the Seiko TF class so you can get some parts.

Maximum thread is Metric 40 (#69) with a DBX1 18 or 16g needle

1 hour ago, Darren Brosowski said:

What Matt S said.

The 18 is still in production as the Seiko TF class so you can get some parts.

Maximum thread is Metric 40 (#69) with a DBX1 18 or 16g needle

I wonder if anyone knows why Singer decided to produce the 18? AFAIK it's about the only 'left handed' industrial machine produced. I presume that it's got something to do with vamping shoes as that is the main purpose listed, not only for the 18 but also the 17. Proved popular since it's been in production for so long -- clearly a case of "works fine" but the bobbins are so tiny I'm perplexed why it's not been completely replaced with something more production-efficient.

As a further thread divergence, I wonder if the 17/18/TE/TF family is the longest continuous production industrial sewing machines by premium manufacturers? Singer launched the 17 in 1905...

Pfaff and Adler also made left standing machines of this type. I also wondered why left standing at all have been produced - but seems there has been a demand for them.