awnova

Piercing tools and techniques

Hello all!

I was working on a project that required piercing the tooling leather so that the soft contrasting leather underneath shows through the design.  I've done something similar a number of times on other projects, but the spaces I needed to cut out this time were smaller and more complex. What tools do you use for piercing?    Do you have a system for burnishing the whispy pieces in the cutout areas?  I'm also happy to have feedback on anything you see that I could be doing better...

20180115_183820~01.jpg

That’s a nice design!  Only thing I can think of to make small piercing cuts like that is a sharp Exacto knife with a pointy blade.

Gary

I believe goodsjapan has a lot of fillegree style punches. Sharp punches would give cleaner holes. Even just the punches you already have may help remove the bulk from behind the tiny cut. When you remove leather from the center area of the hole, it makes room for the leather to move into along the edges as you make your cut. This will relieve a little pressure from the cut. Does that make sense?

Maybe even strop that exacto blade. Sounds silly, but when I was still using a box cutter I found stropping the blade makes for a much cleaner cut.

On something so tiny I wouldn't worry about burnishing so much.

Oh, and it looks spectacular. Great job.

Scalpel.

5 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Scalpel.

This. I use Swann Morton no10A scalpel blades for a lot of fiddly jobs. I buy em by the hundred and they work out very reasonable.

The wispy bits can be removed by careful and quick application of a lighter -- but practice on a scrap piece first and don't do it in your living room if you live with other people ;-) Oh and don't set fire to your shirt...

I'd use various sizes of hole punch to remove most of the leather then use a scalpel to trim the edges; a E11 and 12 blade

Excellent suggestions everyone, I will look into some finer scalpel blades.  My husband just made me an itty bitty wood burnished that works with a dremel that I'm going to try.

Matt you are too funny... I don't generally burn leather in my home, but I have been known to open a big can of glue and chase my husband out of the room ;)

Just in case you wanted to see the finished product...

Oh, I used a scalpel and a bit of fire to get the fiddly bits smoothed out.

Thanks everyone!

20180121_164957~02.jpg

Beautiful job!