MarkCdub

Pancake sheath design for Gerber multi-tool question

I am drawing my pattern in a pancake style and I want to have it flat in the back and pocket in the front for wet molding.

How do I compensate/measure for the thickness of the multitool, and the thickness of the leather to fit the multitool and still be a tight fit?

Wrap the Leatherman in Saran wrap. Cut a piece of leather larger than you need. Get a block of wood.

Now case the leather. Put the Leatherman on the wood and tack the leather tightly around the tool. Let it dry. Laminate it to your back piece. Finish cutting it out and stitch it up.

What bikermutt says. To add, I use a heavy duty stapler [staple gun?] to 'tack' the leather to the support wood. If you do it carefully the holes made by the tack/staples will be your stitching holes in that top piece

or, if you have a food sealer, do as above (tacking isn't as needed) then seal in a bag for a day. The leather will still be wet when you take it out, but it will be stretched out and formed nicely. Only thing to watch out for is it will end up with a "pebble" pattern but, I kinda like it.

IMG_20180116_143933a.jpg

I did this one, but I just cased the leather and worked the leather with a spoon and folder around the wrapped multitool as the leather dried.   I did go back about every 15 minutes or so and work with it a little till it dried.   Cut the molded front to the final shap. Then glued it down to the back and trimmed the back to fit the front. 

7E71B0AF-E1CB-414C-B1FB-AF48C60C1FF3.jpeg

Halitech's way is how I do it.  Only difference is I usually only let it set in the bag for 15-20 minutes, remove it and let it dry overnight.  Oh, I also have a thin piece of plywood that I place in the bag under the tool and leather.  It helps to form a nice, flat flange for stitching.  I've been carrying this one for about a year and it has held it's shape really nicely. (not that I'm any kind of expert :rolleyes:)  

Gerber Case.jpg

Thanks for the pointers.  I finally finished my pattern, but I am going to wait until I get the flashlight I want.  I will make a sheath that holds both similar to how Brian77 constructed his.

One other question, what weight leather are y'all using?

Almost finished, just need to punch the belt loop slots.

20180212_135526-1.jpg