geargarcon

Where to buy steel for bag reinforcement?

I'm attempting to make a bag by following the example of one of our very talented and helpful forum members.  Here is a link to what he has made: http://andersenleather.blogspot.com/2017/02/briefcase-with-3-piece-gusset.html

I'm having a hard time finding some of the hardware I need though.  I've already tried all the usual suspects (Tandy, Weaver, Springfield, Ohio Travel Bag, Buckle Guy).  I've also asked the creator of this bag, but he's not in the US. So now I'm asking for everyone else's help.

Can anyone point me to a US retailer who sells a metal strip / spring steel which I can use to reinforce the top of the bag where the handle attaches?

Also, if someone knows of a US retailer of solid brass bag locks, I'd really appreciate that too.  Most of the locks I'm finding in the US aren't brass or are a little to dainty.  I've found a few nice locks, but they are all European.

Cheers

Edited by geargarcon

16 minutes ago, geargarcon said:

Can anyone point me to a US retailer who sells a metal strip / spring steel which I can use to reinforce the top of the bag where the handle attaches?

I think you should be able to find a piece of flat steel at a welding supply shop, big box store like HD or Lowe’s or maybe even Buy a steel ruler and wrap it in leather.

Gary

You could try an industrial work place; they use spring steel banding around packing cases etcetera. I used to get if from that sort of place when I made wooden toys. However that steel is very hard to cut and drill.

An alternative is brass strip from K & S Metal out of Chicago. A lot of hobby shops carry racks of their brass and aluminium in strip, sheet, rods, tubes. It can also be bought directly

http://www.ksmetals.com/

I always have a selection of their brass strips and sheets on hand. Its useful for supporting or backing some fittings

3 hours ago, fredk said:

An alternative is brass strip from K & S Metal out of Chicago. A lot of hobby shops carry racks of their brass and aluminium in strip, sheet, rods, tubes. It can also be bought directly

http://www.ksmetals.com/

I agree with Fredk - most hardware stores around me have racks of steel strips in various thicknesses and lengths.  I bought a chunk of 4 x 12 x 1/4” steel plate for @$15 to use as a stamping surface for my arbor press.  The hardware store had all kinds of steel in smaller sizes for less than what I paid.

Gary

Home depot should carry metal that will work.  The locks, can be found from UK.  I will look and see if i have a extra one kicking around that i have ordered from, and not needing.

Might be an overkill, but in google try:

sailboat stainless steel strap tang

Thank you so much for all of the responses!

I hadn't even thought of a hardware store.  I figured I was looking for a leather working specific piece.  If all else fails, I do have a small metal ruler that I really don't like to use because it is so thin which I could repurpose. 

@leathersmyth If you have an old brass lock you have no need for I would love to purchase it from you.

Thanks again for the help everyone.  Gotta love this forum!

gg