utah leather

water based dyes

who has used water based dyes before ?  looking for bright colors to use on dog collars but I followed the directions on the bottle and they look like crap, it says use a circular motion with a sponge, I tried both wet and dry, then buff, both look like circles , this stuff doesn't absorb into the leather at all, so I tried the alcohol turquoise color with a sponge but it takes several coats to cover for the most part and its to dark, what do you guys use on dog colors to get bright colors ?????

I know with eco Flo I saw a video where he applied it for like 5 mins. Just continually rubbing it it. Lots of dye. It applies way differently than alcohol dyes.

https://youtu.be/vPtelaDViPY

Edited by Mattsbagger

The inside of my Prototype notebook cover was done with Tan Eco Flow water based dye, the outside was done with Fiebing's Medium Brown.  As Mattsbagger says, it goes on a lot differently.  My application technique is similar to the one shown in the video.  No streaks, no circles.  It seems that way when you start, but you just keep going and going, adding more and more and rubbing it in.  When it is wet, you think it is going to be dark.  It dries quite a bit lighter though. Don't leave any residue when you are finished, it should all be rubbed in or rubbed off before you let it dry.

YinTx

thanks guys, I will look at the video and try again

I tried for years unsuccessfully.

Now I airbrush everything. Only way I can get uniform color on such large projects.

With oil based dyes, I cut it 50% with alcohol.
With water based, cut it 50% with water.

Several light sprays with the airbrush. It allows me to build the color up evenly, and slowly.

Applying it straight up with a sponge or brush always came out too dark, and uneven.

IMG_20151202_1724452-1-1024x510.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

10588789_10154487600720601_528042214_n.jpg

7 hours ago, BeltFanDan said:

I tried for years unsuccessfully.

Now I airbrush everything. Only way I can get uniform color on such large projects.

With oil based dyes, I cut it 50% with alcohol.
With water based, cut it 50% with water.

Several light sprays with the airbrush. It allows me to build the color up evenly, and slowly.

Applying it straight up with a sponge or brush always came out too dark, and uneven.

IMG_20151202_1724452-1-1024x510.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

10588789_10154487600720601_528042214_n.jpg

very nice, how long did it take you to be able to do this

I tried all the tutorials trying to use a sponge, lambs wool, brushes, etc. Could never get it right.

A friend told me if it was something serious, then I should invest in an airbrush set up. I already had a pancake compressor so I just needed the gun setup.

Got a good Paasche set up for under $200 including a variety of tip sizes, quick connects, and jars. It took a little trial and error but it was well worth it.

If you are doing any colors other than black or dark brown, in bulk, airbrushing is a life changer.

Dye or Stain? This get's mixed up all the time. The Eco-Flo Waterstain is different from the water based dye. 

The waterbased dye is fairly easy to apply. Thin it out with water (or alcohol) and apply with a sponge on damp leather. Watch your leather harden up, buff the shit out of it, oil the shit out of it and massage it to soften it up and then buff it some more and then seal it.

The waterstain is terrible and should not be used. But if that's your thing, thin it out with some water (maybe alcohol  is fine) and apply with a sponge on damp leather. Don't let any of it dry until it's all done. If it needs oil you're kinda screwed, but maybe try oiling the flesh side as it won't penetrate the the waterstain. now that you've basically ruined your leather, you can try to make whatever item you had planned and watch it crack on tight bends and at your stitching holes.

54 minutes ago, grmnsplx said:

The waterstain is terrible and should not be used.

On 2/12/2018 at 0:23 PM, YinTx said:

The inside of my Prototype notebook cover was done with Tan Eco Flow water based dye,

I should clarify.  I used Tan EcoFlow Waterstain, without thinning.  With success I think.  I oiled it with pure neetsfoot oil after it dried, then a day after that, applied Aussie, both on the grain side.  Oil takes more time to go in.  I have oiled it before dye in the past, seemed to work ok as well.  Didn't have tight bends, but stitching holes seemed ok.  Yes to dampening the leather before applying dye.

YMMV it seems.

YinTx

i tryed the eco flo water based dye and turned out very crappy, I am thinking of using women's hair coloring for dye. any one ever try this?

I live in california and I think there are only water based dye available here. I did make some black gye from steel wool and vinigar, but I was trying for a purple color with the eco flo, didnt cover evenly.. any suggestions f best purple dye in california? I am new to leather crafts.

thanks!

If you live in California,  you may be able to locally source some non-water-based dyes if you are close to Santa Fe Springs. The Angelus compay is based there. 
Address:
Angelus Direct 
12060 Florence Ave. 
Santa Fe Springs CA 90670 
U.S.A.
https://angelusdirect.com/collections/angelus-dye-1

On 2/14/2018 at 2:01 PM, YinTx said:

I should clarify.  I used Tan EcoFlow Waterstain, without thinning.  With success I think.  I oiled it with pure neetsfoot oil after it dried, then a day after that, applied Aussie, both on the grain side.  Oil takes more time to go in.  I have oiled it before dye in the past, seemed to work ok as well.  Didn't have tight bends, but stitching holes seemed ok.  Yes to dampening the leather before applying dye.

YMMV it seems.

YinTx

Have you had any bad reactions when spraying the waterstain? It says not to because it contains isothiazolinones. Some of the older labels don’t mention them but it still says not to spray. Just looking out.

I've never sprayed them, didn't seem appropriate to spray considering I needed to rub it  in to get the nice color and even coat.  I've heard of others spray applying them, kind of baffled me.  But hey, if it works for them, right?  I think thats to whole point, work it until you figure out what works for you.  Nice to know about the isothiazolinones.  Was not aware.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

I've never sprayed them, didn't seem appropriate to spray considering I needed to rub it  in to get the nice color and even coat.  I've heard of others spray applying them, kind of baffled me.  But hey, if it works for them, right?  I think thats to whole point, work it until you figure out what works for you.  Nice to know about the isothiazolinones.  Was not aware.

YinTx

I’d recommend getting a Saftey Data Sheet for all the products you use.

1 hour ago, howlback said:

I’d recommend getting a Saftey Data Sheet for all the products you use.

You are right.  I have the SDS for most of my products, but didn't for those.  Or the Fiebing's Glycerin bar, come to think of it... task for the evening!

YinTx

Did you clean the surface with alcohol? there maybe some body oils or other substances on the surface which causes you problem. Try cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol on a scrap piece then dye it.