JeannieH

Consew skiving machine has 3 small chips missing from blade

I might be blowing smoke, I think your needle is too small. The thread will often slide through a too small needle but gets caught up every once in awhile and skips.

Ferg

Another possibility, are you lifting the presser foot too high when going around corners?  That can lead to skipped stitches.  Also, make sure the needle is done and has started to rise before lifting the presser foot to navigate around corners.  Too high a lift lets the top tension go.

Tom

Ok I what needle size do you recommend for 4 ounce? I will be mindful of the presser foot lifting. I sewed the other piece onto the gusset and I got a lot less skipping...just 4 spots...maybe glue got in the way? I would think the machine could sew through a little dried glue though.

I think the where your seam is finishing and where your presser feet come down are not working right. If this is your walking foot cylinder with the wobbly dog foot then that may not be helping. On a flat piece of leather probably no problem but with that step and perhaps how you hold it may have to change. That step is trying to push the leather away in toward the machine and and this allows the needle to flex in that direction and then the hook misses the loop. Thicker needle should help a bit as it would resist flexing more but I think a reduction in pressure of your outer presser foot would help as well. Try sticking a thin strip next to the join step and see if that stops the miss.

3 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I think the where your seam is finishing and where your presser feet come down are not working right. If this is your walking foot cylinder with the wobbly dog foot then that may not be helping. On a flat piece of leather probably no problem but with that step and perhaps how you hold it may have to change. That step is trying to push the leather away in toward the machine and and this allows the needle to flex in that direction and then the hook misses the loop. Thicker needle should help a bit as it would resist flexing more but I think a reduction in pressure of your outer presser foot would help as well. Try sticking a thin strip next to the join step and see if that stops the miss.

Yes it’s the same machine with the wobbly dog. What do I need to replace to fix that?i have the screw tightened all the way on the feed dog...when you say step..what are you referring to? I’m not sure I understand.

14 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Yes it’s the same machine with the wobbly dog. What do I need to replace to fix that?i have the screw tightened all the way on the feed dog...when you say step..what are you referring to? I’m not sure I understand.

I don't know that machine so I would ask that question on the sewing machine section as a few there I'm sure will know better. The step i refer to is the edge where the leather joins. Little as it may seem, it can make miss stitching quite a common problem.

8 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I don't know that machine so I would ask that question on the sewing machine section as a few there I'm sure will know better. The step i refer to is the edge where the leather joins. Little as it may seem, it can make miss stitching quite a common problem.

Ok I will post there. Ok I see what you mean. I gave it a 3/8 allowance...but I’m sewing like 1/8...maybe there is an issue with the thickness..I hand skived initially. I didn’t have the sliver. I neatened it up with the machine skiver..maybe there were inconsistencies in the thickness. Thanks for your help. I will read the comments again and see if there is something i an overlooking.