JerseyFirefighter

Bobbin Wind Friction Wheel... Maintenance issue or larger problem

Recommended Posts

Any insight would be appreciated. Machine is a Ferdco Pro 2000 (Juki 441 clone). The bobbin started skipping while engaged. Removing the bobbin wind cover yielded what appeared to rubber shavings from the engaging wheel. I suspect this is a maintenance part and not a result of a larger issue, however id rather be sure before spending $80 on a replacement wheel and not fix an underlying issue if the case. Thank you!

20180216_163724.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a similar issue on mine awhile back.  Replaced the rubber "tire" on the winder with a new O-ring.  seemed to solve the problem.  It was a lot less than $80. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can just loosen the set screws and move the drive wheel a bit closer to the tire so it engages better.  Mine still stops occasionally, but I just flip the bar on top of the bobbin winder up and back down and it normally starts right back up.

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garypl said:

You can just loosen the set screws and move the drive wheel a bit closer to the tire so it engages better.  Mine still stops occasionally, but I just flip the bar on top of the bobbin winder up and back down and it normally starts right back up.

Gary

Had't realized it was positional via the set screws. Thank you for the tip!

1 hour ago, supercub said:

Had a similar issue on mine awhile back.  Replaced the rubber "tire" on the winder with a new O-ring.  seemed to solve the problem.  It was a lot less than $80. 

Unfortunately by the part number, both a web search and a ballpark from Keystone put the price at about $80.  Could you tell me where you purchased it? Since I know this is a wearable part that eventually will be replaced I would gladly pre purchase it to have in the shop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been awhile since I found the O ring, and I looked for it at just about every local place I thought might have one.  I went to every auto parts shop and industrial equipment  supplier in my area.  I finally found one that would work at a vacuum cleaner repair shop.  It wasn’t an exact fit, but it was close enough to work.  

Mine uses an O ring that is approximately 1 7/16” OD and 1 1/8” ID and 3/16” thick. I later found the “right “ O-ring , but darned if I can remember where.  I think it was at one of the machine vendors on this site who handle the CB machines.   Seems like the rings were only a couple of bucks.

The juki parts manual I have doesn’t show this part and I wonder if it wasn’t one of  Ferd’s mods.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McMaster-Carr is a pretty good go-to for this kind of thing - did a quick search, and they seem to have multiple options for O-rings of the size you mention (3/16 thick, 1 1/8 ID).  Unfortunately, you do kind of have to know what sizes you need ahead of time, but if you have that information, you're set.

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=e970489ab84d4f2bb7c8940757c60948jdv02km9

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jersey Fire Fighter,

I'm working on this issue for sure 100 percent, and was unaware of this bobbin winder O ring variation.  The problem is that the Ferdco Pro 2000 uses the Juki parts list with no corrections or updates.  The rubber O Ring from Juki will not work as a direct replacement.

I have a quantity on order and when I have them you'll have one sent out to you, but this time the correct one.

Juki has two variations, and now we are looking at a third from Ferdco.  

Bobbin-winder-wheel.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, Juki has two types, the old type (that the Ferdco 2000 Pro parts book ships with with index number 12 as a gear) and new type with rubber O ring seen above.  Now, a third type is introduced with larger black ring as seen on the Ferdco.  This cannot be interchanged, the inside friction wheels are different sizes.

441New.JPG.5a619e663da97a396c64777f98c82c90.JPG441Old.JPG.0cada603dea1f4a5005c33218a5deb92.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  My pro 2000 uses the Juki style  O ring.  Any idea which machines (by serial number) uses which tire?  I guess the only real way to tell, is to measure the old one and order accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 7:49 AM, garypl said:

You can just loosen the set screws and move the drive wheel a bit closer to the tire so it engages better.  Mine still stops occasionally, but I just flip the bar on top of the bobbin winder up and back down and it normally starts right back up.

Gary

I would try this 1st.  Loosen the set screws on the drive wheel, push the bobbin winder in and move the drive wheel over until you get firm contact. Tighten screws.  Check to see if it is clear from the driven wheel when the bobbin winder is released.

Then you can likely find a replacement part at your leisure and put it on the wall until next time.

Parts for me are 4 hours away, including a ferry ride or wait for the mail, so I have had to learn alternative fixes.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Jersey Fire Fighter,

I'm working on this issue for sure 100 percent, and was unaware of this bobbin winder O ring variation.  The problem is that the Ferdco Pro 2000 uses the Juki parts list with no corrections or updates.  The rubber O Ring from Juki will not work as a direct replacement.

I have a quantity on order and when I have them you'll have one sent out to you, but this time the correct one.

Juki has two variations, and now we are looking at a third from Ferdco.  

Bobbin-winder-wheel.jpg

Indeed that is the part to the left. I was getting intermittent misses of the bobbin spin and then one morning the bobbin winder was DOA. after pulling it and cleaning it the issues haven't been as prevalent, but I suspect that it will give way soon enough. I see that after 2 years of wear I had a sizable amount of rubber collected at the bottom of the housing, so it should only be a matter of time. I've called it a Juki clone for a while, and always considered it nearly interchangeable with Cowboy or Cobra, given the two variations of parts manuals I would be wiser to just consider the machine it's own and refer to the diagrams included with the machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

Indeed that is the part to the left. I was getting intermittent misses of the bobbin spin and then one morning the bobbin winder was DOA. after pulling it and cleaning it the issues haven't been as prevalent, but I suspect that it will give way soon enough. I see that after 2 years of wear I had a sizable amount of rubber collected at the bottom of the housing, so it should only be a matter of time. I've called it a Juki clone for a while, and always considered it nearly interchangeable with Cowboy or Cobra, given the two variations of parts manuals I would be wiser to just consider the machine it's own and refer to the diagrams included with the machine. 

Well, it's the same assumption and mistake I made here, going by the book, if you will.  Hope to have this to you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the boys above, Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia keep the rubber tyres in stock, as eventually they will fail.    Yes there were/are two types, the big fat one seems to be the latest one.   If you get charged more than a few bucks for the tyre someone is pulling your leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now