Jetdoctorbox

Vertical Wallet With Zippered Coin Pouch

20F49AB7-6DC2-4A66-890A-7F8CB6CF45B2.thumb.jpeg.920e2f70cda262b14d2339533bf8126b.jpeg617024D1-C35C-4A52-BF33-9C30C27E6DEB.thumb.jpeg.37719510219b5061f7cbc13be58340f2.jpeg

Recently made a vertical wallet from veg tanned leather which incorporated a zippered coin pouch. This was the first time I ever used a zipper in any of my projects and I must say it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’ve started using a water based bison brown dye from Tandy which is starting to become one of my favorites. Of course, my wife confiscated this project as well once she saw it. Looks like I’m going to have to either start hiding my projects or make some really ugly decoys and have them laying around. (LOL)

Haha. Hardest part of zippers for me is finding right size. I hate trying to faff around building one.

Just think, when you get even better, she will already be loaded down with the old stuff.

Great job.

Man, that looks great!.

On 3/6/2018 at 5:25 AM, Mattsbagger said:

Haha. Hardest part of zippers for me is finding right size. I hate trying to faff around building one.

I have found a supplier of small zippers for smaller projects like this one.  I ordered 50 zippers from her for about $0.21 per zipper and they are perfect; needed them at 4" and they are spot on.  I actually a make a wallet like this that uses them and I have now tossed all of my zipper making supplies because it was taking up space.  Found here on Etsy and she has a several sizes that you typically can't find in the common market.

Beautiful work. Can't say I blame your wife. If my wife made something like that. I would have no problem stealing it fresh off the stitching horse. 

Thank you for sharing.  

On 3/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Jetdoctorbox said:

20F49AB7-6DC2-4A66-890A-7F8CB6CF45B2.thumb.jpeg.920e2f70cda262b14d2339533bf8126b.jpeg617024D1-C35C-4A52-BF33-9C30C27E6DEB.thumb.jpeg.37719510219b5061f7cbc13be58340f2.jpeg

Recently made a vertical wallet from veg tanned leather which incorporated a zippered coin pouch. This was the first time I ever used a zipper in any of my projects and I must say it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’ve started using a water based bison brown dye from Tandy which is starting to become one of my favorites. Of course, my wife confiscated this project as well once she saw it. Looks like I’m going to have to either start hiding my projects or make some really ugly decoys and have them laying around. (LOL)

Did you purchase the acrylic template set from Make-Supply Leather or just go with the paper version for now?  Kind of curious as to how well their acrylic templates are; seem to be solid but have seen some acrylic versions (from other sources) that were not all that great.

I have MAKESUPPLY templates and are very solid. I had him make some up of my own pattern too.

19 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

I have MAKESUPPLY templates and are very solid. I had him make some up of my own pattern too.

Thanks for your response; I have been contemplating on whether or not to give them a try with some of my own designs but I wanted to make sure that their materials are solid.  I have had some made by others and was not impressed with the results.  From what I can see from their website they have a heck of an operation going and it is nice to know that they have a quality product as well.

The templates are 1/8 inch thick(just under 4mm)

On 7/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Thanks for your response; I have been contemplating on whether or not to give them a try with some of my own designs but I wanted to make sure that their materials are solid.  I have had some made by others and was not impressed with the results.  From what I can see from their website they have a heck of an operation going and it is nice to know that they have a quality product as well.