A friend and fellow toddler parent was complaining that her daughter is so tiny that her pants keep falling down, and I suggested that I could make her a little pair of suspenders. She wasn't too keen on that idea, but maybe a belt? she asked. But something that would be simple for her daughter to undo when they start potty training. The idea that we came up with (or agreed to look into further) was Velcro. So I'm picturing a 1/2" or 3/4" strip of leather with a little dot of hooks on one side and a strip of loops on the other. 

So, I've got the belt leather, and Velcro tape isn't that expensive. But I've never sewn Velcro onto anything. (And I want to sew it on, so that it's nice and secure.) Anything in particular I need to know? 

Edited by epiphanist1248

Nothing special about it, no tricks, just straight forward sewing. I do it all the time.

Sewing Velcro is straightforward enough

Does it have to be leather? I've sewn Velcro to nylon fabric & webbing by machine, no problems, and nylon webbing would be easier to keep clean. Just seal the cut ends with a candle or lighter flame

If you use belt leather that could be too thick to sew by machine, and hand sewing would take longer.

I think in this case nylon webbing would be a better choice than leather

On 3/8/2018 at 6:55 AM, zuludog said:

Sewing Velcro is straightforward enough

Does it have to be leather? I've sewn Velcro to nylon fabric & webbing by machine, no problems, and nylon webbing would be easier to keep clean. Just seal the cut ends with a candle or lighter flame

If you use belt leather that could be too thick to sew by machine, and hand sewing would take longer.

I think in this case nylon webbing would be a better choice than leather

I'm not saying you're wrong (if I were buying toddler belts in the store, I'm not sure which one I'd pick for my son). But I actually have belt straps already cut. I'd just need to cut it to size, dye it, and sew the Velcro on. Plus, it's not a lot of Velcro; I can do that much hand sewing during my son's naptime. And, ya know, it would be a paying gig. Not a lot, but still. Enough to justify to the wife why I do this. :P