Lebeef143

Old Dr.'s saddle bags

Here are some pictures of some old saddlebags my friend sent me on Facebook.  I don't know anything about them except these pictures.  Have any of you seen anything like these before?  I would like to create a replica and would like some ideas on the metal work.  Anyway, this is my first post in this forum.  But i've been lurking quite awhile.  Thanks everyone!

dr. saddlebags 1.png

dr. saddlebags 2.png

Those bags are super cool and I am sure they have a story to tell.  I don't know anything about them except to pay a compliment.  Good luck to you and welcome.  Cheers

Very cool indeed.  Amazing condition overall.  I noticed the huge copper burrs, wonder if they are currently available?  Some of the metal parts will likely have to be fabricated.  I'm sure those were made up especially for the bags.  I'm having a hard time reading the makers mark.  Can you post another pic of it?

One of these days, . . . I'm going to make a pair of saddle bags, . . . just to hang up in the shop, . . . and to say I've got em.

All the old westerns we used to watch, . . . they always intrigued me as the cowboy would pull them off the horse, . . . throw them across his shoulder and head off to the local hotel or saloon.

I know it sounds corny, . . . but I always thought that looked super cool to tote your stuff around in just those two saddle bags.

May God bless,

Dwight

Those doctoring bags are awesome!  Like Firewalker said - Wish they could tell their stories, and wonder when they were made!

If you'd like to see a modern version, Don Gonzales posted a video on Youtube making one - this one is a saddle-horn version but goes to show there's still a need for 'em today.

- Bill

Well those are immensely cool. Most of the metalwork will need to be custom built I think (how's your tin bashing Mr LeBeef?). I think you could use penny washers in the rivets to spread the load like the original.

Those are just way to cool