ComputerDoctor

Another Holster this time for a 'wheel gun!'

I recently began another Holster build, this time for a single action, 22 Mag, Revolver that my Cousin owns. I am showing a sequence series leading to completion. I am in the process now of dying the leather.:)

Sam:)

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

Looks great! Do you find the binder clips mark the leather, especially when it's wet? I made little leather covers for mine, and they work great, no more marks.

11 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Looks great! Do you find the binder clips mark the leather, especially when it's wet? I made little leather covers for mine, and they work great, no more marks.

I have had the same problem, great idea!  I know what i'm going to do today...lol, plenty of scrap lying around for this.

@ComputerDoctor Great looking holster!  I also wondered how or if you are able to get rid of the remaining grid marks for the geo stamping, or do you tool over the center to cover it up?

Good looking start. I love me some Rugers.

I've tried binder clips before...too much tension for my use...so I switched to wooden & spring clothes clips...just the right amount of pressure & super cheap at the local dollar store. I keep a bin of a 150 or so on my bench for holster/wallet/accessory work. I still keep the binder clips around for the milled leathers and projects where I need grip...but most of the time the wooden ones are enough. YMMV

4 hours ago, koreric75 said:

I have had the same problem, great idea!  I know what i'm going to do today...lol, plenty of scrap lying around for this.

@ComputerDoctor Great looking holster!  I also wondered how or if you are able to get rid of the remaining grid marks for the geo stamping, or do you tool over the center to cover it up?

This will give you a start, I use them all the time. I think I am using about 4 oz leather. Just punch four holes and put a cut to join them.

20180419_093829.jpg

20180419_093906.jpg

Well...isn't that just nifty! gonna file that little piece of ingenuity away for my own use...thanks for sharing!

4 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

Well...isn't that just nifty! gonna file that little piece of ingenuity away for my own use...thanks for sharing!

I know others use a little piece of leather on the clips, I just figured there had to be a better way. Plus I get rid of all those little end pieces from the belts we all make and save but never seem to have a use for, lol.

How fortuitous...I just went to the Dollar Tree the other day...they had these exact style clips for $1 per pack...quantity varies depending on the size (8-10pcs for the medium or large ones)...WallyWorld and the other big box office supply chains want way more than that for the same thing. As I said before...I've been using these black clips for milled oil-tanned mock-ups (I'm working on some new tote, portfolio & accessory designs) and other leathers that don't show marks quite so much or on simple little items where I'm not gluing the edge but need a strong hold before sewing...your little "guard" will help expand my use of them. Thanks again!

Edited by Double Daddy

Nice pattern work on the holster, what dye colour will you use on the leather?

Thanks for the replies. I am aware that almost any clamp leaves a mark of some kind. I used Tandy black VOC dye, then buffed the finish and then used Resolene.:)

This holster matches the construction of a carrier for a mini-mag lite and a tactical baton that I recently made for a Cousin.

Sam

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG