Mizzy

Just been given 20 machines!

Amazing, right? I went looking to buy a walking foot Singer 153w103, expecting to pay $1,000 to $1,500, but ended up getting the whole shed full of machines for $500. 

So there are post bed machines, bar trackers, button hole machines, old Singer heads galore, an Irish embroidery machine, ... so many. I’ve started up the biggest, a mec Val cs82, which seems to run well, but don’t actually know anything about it or even want it. Can anyone tell me what it’s worth? My husband is pretty keen to get his garage back.

One of the machines is a Singer 236w100 and I’m thinking of repainting it as a project. Another machine, a Singer 331k6, has a roller foot but I was wondering if I can change that to a normal presser foot?

Well I’m excited! What a find!

@Mizzy I moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines.  Will get more exposure to members in the know.  What a find, and from what I understand, unusual to find many used machines in Australia.  I see from your IP address that you are in New South Wales.

Tom

1 hour ago, Mizzy said:

Can anyone tell me what it’s worth?

Congratulations on your newfound machine bounty! 

The whole lot was worth exactly $500 a few days ago. You may get more for them individually if you market and present them properly. Tip: don't tell potential buyers you got the machines practically for free. 

Edited by Uwe

would like to see some pictures

If you wan to sell them fast  (or just the ones you cannot market by your self) check with a dealer but as Uwe said never tell how much you paid ;)

Well done mate - a shame you are not on the East coast

Thanks, yes I’m very happy with my find but sad for the man who once loved these machines - I’d say he was into collecting antique Singers. I certainly don’t need them all but his dear wife was sending them to the dump the next day; she had no idea about their condition, function, or value. Me either, but I couldn’t see them scrapped.

All bar 2 are Singers, most are still black albeit dulled and dirty beasts but with intact decals, and many have weird looking attachments stuck all over them. The manuals are original and like new. 

I couldn’t find a replacement bobbin cover for the 153w103 so I pulled the binding (or whatever) attachment thingy off the existing cover. It had been welded onto the original bobbin cover but a hacksaw did the trick. I’ve cleaned the head, ordered a new timing belt as it was broken, and might stick a new servo underneath. Utube makes that job look doable. However, being a little female means I’m limited by a lack of strength- it’s heavy and some of the screws feel like they’re glued in place. 

Can anyone please tell me if it’s possible to replace wheels for presser feet? Would I need to replace the feed dog (and plate) too?

I am in NSW and happy to help as I love old machines.

Call me on 0415 353 748

153W103 is a compound feed machine

Mizzy, hubby's garage must look like Aladdin's Cave!:lol:

It should be possible to replace the a wheel with a presser foot, best thing is to post photos of the parts so that the experienced gurus on here can tell you exactly what's needed.

This photo shows the attachment that was welded onto the casing cover, and the cover after I removed it with a hacksaw blade (that’s all I had) then filed it smooth. 

4C658033-37BB-42F3-B238-E74E8B91753F.jpeg

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Mizzy, hubby's garage must look like Aladdin's Cave!:lol:

Hahaha it sure does ... to me anyway.

Mizzy, that is a binding attachment. A tape (usually cloth) is fed in from the right and the u-shaped thingy causes it to fold over on the edge of the material and it's then stitched provide a neat finish along the edge. On my Pfaff it's a bolt-on attachment, I'm guessing that with the Singer you'd normally replace the entire piece including the part it was welded to. Someone with more knowledge of these will probably clarify this.

If you're going to run it without the binder then you'll probably need to replace the feet and the feed dog assembly (I did on the Pfaff).

Thanks Dikman, I just looked at it on utube and seems useful. But I’d rather it removable, not permanent. 

Sorry for asking a silly question, but what would happen if I didn’t replace the feet and feed dog assembly? Not sew straight perhaps?

Should still work, my Pfaff did, best thing is to try it. At least with Singers feet are readily available.

On 21/04/2018 at 11:56 PM, Darren Brosowski said:

I am in NSW and happy to help as I love old machines.

Call me on 0415 353 748

Hi Darren, did you get my private message? 

Too bad you're in Australia... I'd love to get my hands on the 236W100 - as I understand it, the wheel feed post bed machines are the best machines you can get for decorative stitching on boot tops and such.

Best of luck cleaning them up and finding them good homes!

Thank you Sheltathelore!