This is my second time making this king of long wallet. Still not perfect though. Not yet finished on burnishing edges, or should I say try to burnish. I used chrome tanned in this one, pull side leather on the body and coins slot and nappa on the card holder and hinges, because from where I live at, it is difficult to find shop to make my leather thinner. So I had to buy thinner leather. 

I've been in leather industry for one year or so, just making small leather goods. Still not good enough to level up and make bags and stuff, but it has been always a dream to try it out.

IMG_20180510_22292.jpg

IMG_20180510_10917.jpg

IMG_20180510_3762.jpg

IMG_20180510_13560.jpg

IMG_20180510_49186.jpg

IMG_20180510_55146.jpg

IMG_20180510_44501.jpg

IMG_20180510_52114.jpg

IMG_20180510_28225.jpg

IMG_20180510_2355.jpg

IMG_20180510_31184.jpg

IMG_20180510_33256.jpg

IMG_20180510_43363.jpg

IMG_20180510_2321.jpg

Very nice wallet!

I wanted to ask whether the use of a magnetic fastener does harm the  cards with magnetic stripe?

On a purse of this design the magnet should have no affect. I did have problems on a mans pocket wallet [US billfold?] though where the magnet was closer to the cards. Wiped them completely after a couple of days use

22 minutes ago, fredk said:

On a purse of this design the magnet should have no affect. I did have problems on a mans pocket wallet [US billfold?] though where the magnet was closer to the cards. Wiped them completely after a couple of days use

Thank you for information. I think about to use a magnetic clasp, but the fear of harming the client by destroying his cards always stops me.

Edited by ABHandmade

8 hours ago, fredk said:

Thank you for the information. I would be very careful on using magnetic clasp from now on. 

looks nice

Long wallet turned out very nice!  I personally like the chunky stitching, but some will likely say it is a bit big.  Shows off your nice, consistent stitches.

The edges probably should be edge coated.  Just get them as smooth as you can, fibers compacted down and then edge coat.

Keep up the good work and your third one will be even better.

36 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Long wallet turned out very nice!  I personally like the chunky stitching, but some will likely say it is a bit big.  Shows off your nice, consistent stitches.

The edges probably should be edge coated.  Just get them as smooth as you can, fibers compacted down and then edge coat.

Keep up the good work and your third one will be even better.

Thank you for your comment. Me and edge coat doesn't get along well that's why I didn't painted it but I'll try to do that. 

What about the stitching you were saying? I only have 4mm pricking iron, uhm what do I need to use for wallets? What do you mean by a bit big?

Your stitching looks great.  I was simply noting that the thread is large in comparison to many wallets I see.  I actually like the look.  However, some folks will feel it is a bit large, or what is sometimes called "chunky".  

Regarding edge coat, it is an acquired skill like anything else.  Once you get the technique down, it actually becomes very easy to do.  The trick is getting the proper tool, learning how much Edge Kote to apply and a steady hand.  You almost have to have guts to do it right.  You have worked hard on the project and don't want to ruin it, so you maybe skimp on the amount of Edge Kote you apply and it just doesn't work well that way.

Practice on some scrap.  And if a little runs over the edge, just wipe it off immediately.  A couple of recommended tools are a metal spatula as offered by Tandy, a roller applicator also through Tandy and a common pencil.  Personally, I use flat, wooden stir sticks intended for stirring coffee and they work great for me.  When I'm done, I just wipe them down and re-use.

It depends on personal choice. Some use say 8 or 9 stitches per inch. Lay your chisel on a ruler and see how many points fit in a inch. Gives a rough estimate of SPI. I am out of time so I don’t have access to my tools to take pics to illustrate what I am talking about. Different SPI will give the same project that is exactly the same a completely different look.

21 minutes ago, kyrrk said:

What about the stitching you were saying? I only have 4mm pricking iron, uhm what do I need to use for wallets? What do you mean by a bit big?

Edited by Mattsbagger

Craftool-Stainless-Steel-Edge-Paddle-3439-00-250_250.jpg.f40501a9de3ecbbc2dc3d50a93f81928.jpgCraftool-Pro-Edge-Dye-Roller-Pen-3437-00a-250_250.jpg.00a08b3b5ff31d8a2c1c387d3424ad1d.jpg

Maybe you have something laying around that would work just as good.

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

Your stitching looks great.  I was simply noting that the thread is large in comparison to many wallets I see.  I actually like the look.  However, some folks will feel it is a bit large, or what is sometimes called "chunky".  

Regarding edge coat, it is an acquired skill like anything else.  Once you get the technique down, it actually becomes very easy to do.  The trick is getting the proper tool, learning how much Edge Kote to apply and a steady hand.  You almost have to have guts to do it right.  You have worked hard on the project and don't want to ruin it, so you maybe skimp on the amount of Edge Kote you apply and it just doesn't work well that way.

Practice on some scrap.  And if a little runs over the edge, just wipe it off immediately.  A couple of recommended tools are a metal spatula as offered by Tandy, a roller applicator also through Tandy and a common pencil.  Personally, I use flat, wooden stir sticks intended for stirring coffee and they work great for me.  When I'm done, I just wipe them down and re-use.

Ok I got your point. It's simply because it's the only resource I have other than 0.8mm thread. Here in my area it's very difficult to find tools and supplies, I rely on the internet but some supplies are so expensive.

Oh thank you for the tip, although I bought a roller and still find it difficult, but maybe just needs practice . Thank you again for the advice :)

You will find that there are sometimes "rules of thumb" or "conventional" ways of doing things.  Small items usually demand more stitches per inch and smaller thread diameters.  The idea is to keep the proportion of the stitching consistent with the size of the article.  However, you can certainly take license to change that up to achieve a particular look or aesthetic.  I did that on a watch strap that was made out of a repurposed baseball glove.  I just felt the glove leather wanted beefy stitching and so I used 1mm braided waxed polyester thread and was happy with the result.

For only a year in the craft, you should be proud of your stitching!

5 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Thank you for the information provided. I appreciate your help. I'll be more aware of that now. :D

9 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Some great pictures in that link.  Even with the same iron you can achieve different looks.  Notice how some of the smaller thread helps accentuate the slanted, or zig-zag look.  Changing the teeth per inch on the iron and the size of thread gives you many possibilities.

But again, I think your stitching is fine.  

@Tugadude

It's interesting, I'll be making watch strap soon. I ordered some watch buckle, I want to try to make them. 

Sometimes I love my stitching, sometimes I think I need to improve it. I'm not so sure if my saddle stitch is right. Hmm

BTW, your overall skills are quite good also.  The cut of the pockets, the zipper, all look very clean.  Well presented work.

Just now, kyrrk said:

@Tugadude

It's interesting, I'll be making watch strap soon. I ordered some watch buckle, I want to try to make them. 

Sometimes I love my stitching, sometimes I think I need to improve it. I'm not so sure if my saddle stitch is right. Hmm

Some folks are content with "good enough" while others continue to strive for what they feel is the "perfect" stitch.  Your work is already good enough in my opinion.  Taking it to the next level would require experimentation and studying sources such as Valerie Michael ("The Leatherworking Handbook") or Nigel Armitage's videos on Youtube.  Ian Atkinson also has some very helpful videos.  Both gentlemen share a ton of tips and techniques that if understood will lift anyone's work to another level.

I'm a fan of the traditional zig-zag saddle stitch.  I strive (and often fail) to achieve the slant on both sides of my work.  When I do succeed it brings me great satisfaction.  You've achieved a lot in a short time.  Keep reaching higher and your work will be astonishing.

3 minutes ago, kyrrk said:

@Tugadude I'm having trouble on corners of wallet, I can't get consistent pattern of stitching. 

I try my best and always making goods with TLC. 

If you mean square corners, look at Nigel Armitage's video on Youtube where he describes using a round hole on the corner and using it as a "hinge" to achieve a nice transition from axis-to-axis.  

Are you using a 2-prong iron on the rounded corners?  The long wallet corners look fine to me.

12 hours ago, Tugadude said:

If you mean square corners, look at Nigel Armitage's video on Youtube where he describes using a round hole on the corner and using it as a "hinge" to achieve a nice transition from axis-to-axis.  

Are you using a 2-prong iron on the rounded corners?  The long wallet corners look fine to me.

Will check that out. Thank you !