Alisdair

Birth of a sporran

A client asked me to make him a custom sporran, so I spent a day or so making this. He's a big laddie, so I had to adjust my usual dimensions.

20180511_175409-a.jpg

20180509_074111-a.jpg

20180510_112804-a.jpg

20180511_144249-a.jpg

20180510_174842-a.jpg

20180511_073417-a.jpg

20180511_083421-a.jpg

20180511_193759-a.jpg

20180511_193902-a.jpg

20180513_092831-a.jpg

20180513_140619-a.jpg

20180513_140646-a.jpg

Sporrans are born, not made?! :rolleyes:
Seriously, though, the attention to detail there is very good. I greatly enjoyed looking at all the pieces in progress, and then the final product.

7 hours ago, DJole said:

Sporrans are born, not made?! :rolleyes:
Seriously, though, the attention to detail there is very good. I greatly enjoyed looking at all the pieces in progress, and then the final product.

Sporrans are definitely born and not made! I'd be terrible at doing this full time, because I have trouble sending them away to their new homes!

G'Day ,

Thats beautiful work. Love the ' step-by-step' pics, and the little....um ...bunson  burner? 

The tea pots caught my eye too :)  They look exotic . 

Good to see I'm not the only one  that uses those springy paper clips. I have boxes of them, and they are a Godsend. 

Well done :) 

Very nice work! 

@Handstitched, that little burner is an alcohol lamp. It's used for heating up the creaser before creasing the edge. It helps set the crease nice and crisp. Just a little tid bit if you didn't already know. I thought it was interesting when I learned about it haha. 

Very cool bag.  Nice work!

I do like your tools, and I think it would be worth a thread on its own to show the rest of them.   My spider sense tells me that part of the ‘birthing process’ consists of the joy of using aged and quality tools.

So how did an Alisdair end up in Geneva making sporrans. :)

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎21 at 10:00 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

I do like your tools, and I think it would be worth a thread on its own to show the rest of them.   My spider sense tells me that part of the ‘birthing process’ consists of the joy of using aged and quality tools.

So how did an Alisdair end up in Geneva making sporrans. :)

I must say that nice tools are my weak point...for example, that Jeremiah Watt divider/compass was an impulse buy...could've bought about 100 Chinese dividers for the same price! I practise my stitching and try out new tools, materials  and methods by making new protective covers for all of the pointy bits.

An Alisdair ended up in Geneva by way of a Swiss grandmother: I came here to go to university and to practise my French...and like many other people, ended up staying here!

BTW, @LumpenDooodle2 ...I see on your site that you're into detecting. I published a book on Late Roman Bronze Coins a few years ago that's quite popular with detectorists!