RichardPorley

19th century Hugo Werteim shoe patcher

Productive weekend,:)
Some filing, drilling, milling, sanding, polishing will be done tomorrow, after I shape the tension spring for it,:),
thanks for looking.

Richard.

20180526_135647.jpg

20180527_112536.jpg

20180527_122418.jpg

20180527_151355.jpg

20180527_162335.jpg

Hey Richard, way to go mate. well done, that is looking great.

Thanks mate, but I won't count my chickens just yet, will be a couple of weeks before I get my needles to try it.

Richard. 

looks great so far.

glenn

Thanks  Glenn, 

Richard.

Well, it picked up the bobbin thread first try but, then it jammed in the carrier, there is too much play in the whole set up, so I think I will start with the carrier, and see if it can be tighten  some how,  I have all day to play tomorrow, 

Richard.

teeth are probably worn on the bottom as is the long drive rack

6 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

teeth are probably worn on the bottom as is the long drive rack

Your right Glenn, there is definitely some wear there, mainly on the drive rack, the teeth on the carrier are not bad at all, I am making a new hook now , the previous one I made I filed to much metal of one side, and combined with the worn parts made it very loose and that's why it jammed, there is no play on the carrier pivot at all which is good,

thanks Glenn,

Richard.

I have some odd bobbins that I got in a old shipment some time ago.  Would you like me to send you one of each to see if they will work?  You just cover the shipping.  I will get you specs of the bobbins.

One thig you must do when you get the hook made.  Make sure you harden it. 

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Thanks for the kind offer Glenn, very much appreciated, at the moment  I'm making the hook to take the 29K71 bobbins, as I have a few of them, if that does not work out I will let you know, yes the hook will be harden and tempered when done, 

most probably will make one more as a spare :-)

Richard.

Made the second hook,  did a little bit of stitching on a scrap bit of leather, fine with normal sewing cotton and  big needle, I will have to match needle and thread properly to see if I get good results , it has been a long day but happy with results so far,

hook still to be properly polished and then hardened,  more experimenting to be done tomorrow after work.

thanks for looking. 

Richard. 

20180603_180614.jpg.eb71797fc8b219a86054f11c6896c147.jpg20180603_180324.jpg.dd83a02d30438202047d6a6c59c51214.jpg20180603_180210.jpg.186a40138f153402bae66f4afbe74ddc.jpg

That just blows me away. Fantastic effort:notworthy:..........wish you were a neighbour. I got twelve around my fence line and mostly like tits on a bull generally.:(

Thanks, Cracked me up Brian!!:lol: as long as they are not APITA! is ok. hey, I'm only down the road a bit mate:) if you need something you think I can help with, just PM me, happy to help if I can, 

Cheers

Richard.

Sorry mate, I have just realized I've mistaken  you for Brian (Rockoboy from WA):wacko:

I guess you're Harry?

getting old:unsure:

Richard.

21 hours ago, RichardPorley said:

Thanks, Cracked me up Brian!!:lol: as long as they are not APITA! is ok. hey, I'm only down the road a bit mate:) if you need something you think I can help with, just PM me, happy to help if I can, 

Cheers

Richard.

Thanks for the offer Richard .......Shame that roads like 6+ hours drive :(. I make a lot of machinery and stuff for my self but that bobbin hook would pull me up I reckon. If you want to get away from that rat race any time I think I could move one of this bull tits along or squeeze an acre out somewhere. BTW Brian is my name ,Wild Harry was a wild dog we had and named the web business after. Wife's call.... what can you say? :P

10 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the offer Richard .......Shame that roads like 6+ hours drive :(. I make a lot of machinery and stuff for my self but that bobbin hook would pull me up I reckon. If you want to get away from that rat race any time I think I could move one of this bull tits along or squeeze an acre out somewhere. BTW Brian is my name ,Wild Harry was a wild dog we had and named the web business after. Wife's call.... what can you say? :P

No problem mate, Brian what a coincidence , I bet you were wondering how I new your name, hehe!!, I don't think I could handle the humidity up there, is bad enough down here in summer, but I guess this is Australia!, you have to love it!

you know what they say, happy wife, happy life, :)

I just finish buying a Patent Elastic base from eBay :yeah:, is in  Melbourne, hopefully will get here  in one piece, I'll post pics later,

Richard.

OK, had a hard time getting it right, it would sew just a few stitches, then would start missing them, it drove me crazy all day, and then found that the thread pick up  arm spring was the problem, it was to hard, some adjusting and now here it is, finally it is sewing, I don't know if the stitches suppose to look like this but I'm very happy with it, 

from the left, 1st row is the back side, then the top side both with the original needle, the other 2 right rows, top side with 29k needle.

20180609_165313.jpg.d3763756bd319a3df97087d056467762.jpg20180609_165516.jpg.81690b0b31a957c8ada5f04fb7388d02.jpg

Now I have to wait for the base to arrive mid next week, I hope in one piece

thanks for looking,

Richard.

s-l16002.jpg.13b0346ddcf8ce410bb34182a2333ee4.jpg

Congratulations....That is amazing.:thumbsup: The base is so ornate I would almost be tempted to drive down and get it. I really hope it comes through intact. Brian

Thanks mate, yeah! I hope so too,

Richard.

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, RockyAussie said:

That is amazing.:thumbsup: The base is so ornate

Totally agree. That base is a piece of art!

Ok, received the base, no transport damage as it was extremely well packed, however, I wish he would have been a bit more honest in the description of the condition,

"PICTURES FORM PART OF THE DESCRIPTION" 

to me is a lot of BS, and I told him so, not that he cared, as far as described all that was wrong was the pedal rod had to be replaced to make it work, would have been a bit difficult when everything is rusted together and is hard to make out if there is any damage on the item when the photos are of low resolution, my fault for not asking more questions, I guess.

Any way, lesson learned, is all disassembled now the pedal is brazed some parts to be made, bolts and screws were rust welded/seized so, some had to be drilled others just snapped off, no big deal, thanks for looking.

More photos later.

Richard.

2018-06-21 10.09.34.png

2018-06-21 10.10.18.png

2018-06-21 10.12.23.jpg

Edited by RichardPorley

Here is the craked pedal.

5b2b0f53b1208_2018-06-2110_13_12.jpg.758bc90e650a59ce5fa93faee9aabfea.jpg

There is also crack on the table that I need to fix as well.

5b2b10d59f4e1_2018-06-2112_42_18.jpg.214c298c99c3569c4d008cab04a3750f.jpg

Richard.

That is a shame but I think it is still beautiful. If anyone can bring it back into play I have every confidence. Sandblast and weld first I guess. Are you able to do that welding yourself?Cant wait to see the finish :popcorn:  Regards Brian

Hi Brian, yes, it sure  is a work of art, I have a friend that is a welder, he suggested  I bronze welded it, haven't had a lot of experience with bronze but had a go anyway,  and  done the pedal already!, just have to clean up  now and reshape some of the details, once painted it will not be noticed,

I can't wait either, haha!!, this is similar to what I have in mind for the grand finale, 

gallery_5246_364_288593.jpg.def765127b55259140ab471d5cf1c976.jpg

This is from a forum member's album, he's from NZ, gordond,  hope he doesn't mind me copying some of his decorations, he's is an outstanding restoration.

Off course mine has all the battle scars!!

Richard.

WOW :jawdropper:Jeeps mate don't do that to it ifn you want to use it I mean. That looks like its worth more as a non going item I reckon. Imagine having that in a antique shop or a sewing machine sales business or.....Are you opening a shop maybe?.