karlova

Are girls allowed? :P

Hi everybody, I want to introduce myself, I have been reading the forum for some time and finally registered. My name is Marina, I am a graphic designer since 1998 (or I was? Haven't done any graphic design since I got leather), I am a Russian and I live on a sailboat in Guatemala with a little Chi dog named Bonny, who is responsible for everything (she hadn't had a harness, I had to make her one). 

I guess I started making leather stuff seriously a few months ago and now I'm into hand stitching and buying tools and all these things. I am enjoying it so much that I just can't stop :) I sell here locally in my friends' restaurant and I have even sold quite a few items. I have to order everything from the US and you can imagine the shipping rates (for example, when I order from Acadia, the price of the leather doubles when it arrives here). Well, this isn't a reason to stop doing this, right. 

Oh and I created my brand, it's my surname - Karlova - just waiting for the stamping iron to be delivered! 

I would like to show you some of my work :)

32456175_396577464141746_5509146866882707456_o.thumb.jpeg.d41f3b877acab07235f903028fe2a15b.jpeg

32736380_2136166463076995_6637189704707997696_o.jpeg

IMG_1331.thumb.jpeg.67ace83e9d91436d8caea3062d94ef6c.jpeg

This tote is machine stitched, but I don't like doing this anymore, not with leather :D 

IMG_1346.thumb.jpeg.4ce40aa5df1f5a37c9149e8e76192523.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

Yes, girls are allowed!  Some of the best in the world are of the female persuasion!  I understand the pricing thing.  I live on an island, and EVERYTHING is more expensive here, especially shipping!  Welcome, and nice work!  Love the dog pose.  Fabulous!

Hi, girls definately allowed.  

You might get the odd touch of mysoginism, and a tad lack of humour (probibly age related) but on the whole, they are a not too bad bunch of chaps, with a lot of knowledge, and willing to help.:lol:

You’ve put together some really nice stuff there, and a very nice mix of products.    Not only is your dog lovely, but there is definately a market for pet leather items. 

Have you got yourself a webshop outlet yet?    I’ve been finding that a presence on Etsy and Facebook, along with your own webshop, work best.

Your graphic design credentials shine through in your products and photos.

Maureen

Welcome to the forum. 

I absolutely love your work and I think very sellable anywhere. If you don’t mind a bit of critique... I think if you used edge paint on your leather it would bring your work to a new level of perfection?

Delighted to see another lady leather craft person on board.  

Plenty of talented ladies here. And glad to have another. Welcome aboard.

Thank you all very much for warm welcome! ;)

Have you got yourself a webshop outlet yet?   

I have Etsy shop but I can only sell big stuff there, as the shipping from here is also expensive, doesn't make sense for small items that are cheaper than $100 :(

And anyway I haven't sold a thing there as I am really, really bad in marketing and promotion LOL probably the worst in the world!

If you don’t mind a bit of critique... I think if you used edge paint on your leather it would bring your work to a new level of perfection?

Well I am thinking about it from time to time. Main problem is that I only can order dyes by ocean as most of them are haz.mats (flammable). That means 5-7 weeks waiting for it to get shipped :(

On the other hand I like raw leather edges, because it looks authentic to me, dunno if that's just my thing but some products are made of such a good faux leather with finished edges you can only tell by smell that it isn't leather. So I always preferred to see raw edges to make sure.

If I could get dyes tho, I would try it definitely.

6 minutes ago, karlova said:

Thank you all very much for warm welcome! ;)

I have Etsy shop but I can only sell big stuff there, as the shipping from here is also expensive, doesn't make sense for small items that are cheaper than $100 :(

And anyway I haven't sold a thing there as I am really, really bad in marketing and promotion LOL probably the worst in the world!

Well I am thinking about it from time to time. Main problem is that I only can order dyes by ocean as most of them are haz.mats (flammable). That means 5-7 weeks waiting for it to get shipped :(

On the other hand I like raw leather edges, because it looks authentic to me, dunno if that's just my thing but some products are made of such a good faux leather with finished edges you can only tell by smell that it isn't leather. So I always preferred to see raw edges to make sure.

If I could get dyes tho, I would try it definitely.

Welcome to the forum!  You (and I) can learn much from the experts here.

Edge paint is normally latex based and is not flammable.  I use Giardini and find it to be very durable and easy to use.

Gary

Huh, I've just looked up edge paint and some of them are actually acrylics. Can I use regular acrylic paint for the edges? My other hobby is painting so I do have loads of acrylic paints here on the boat :) 

1 hour ago, karlova said:

So I always preferred to see raw edges to make sure.

Ну, в общем, да. Есть в этих необработанных краях свой шарм. Хотя одна только надпись "сумка может содержать алкоголь"  делает проблему урезов вообще непринципиальной:) . 6 баллов из 5 за неё ;)

Edited by AlexFJ

1 hour ago, karlova said:

Huh, I've just looked up edge paint and some of them are actually acrylics. Can I use regular acrylic paint for the edges? My other hobby is painting so I do have loads of acrylic paints here on the boat :) 

Yes you can.  They don't hold up as well as the dedicated edge products though.  I like your stuff the way it is.  It cool that your pieces are influenced but the items you have on hand (I guess they all are).  Becoming an edge snob is a lonely road that takes a considerable amount of time and joy out of leatherwork.  I am an edge snob.

26 minutes ago, AlexFJ said:

Ну, в общем, да. Есть в этих необработанных краях свой шарм. Хотя одна только надпись "сумка может содержать алкоголь"  делает проблему урезов вообще непринципиальной:) . 6 баллов из 5 за неё ;)

Хаха ))) Спасибо!!

9 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Yes you can.  They don't hold up as well as the dedicated edge products though.  I like your stuff the way it is.  It cool that your pieces are influenced but the items you have on hand (I guess they all are).  Becoming an edge snob is a lonely road that takes a considerable amount of time and joy out of leatherwork.  I am an edge snob.

Thanks ;) I didn't quite understand what you meant about the items I have on hand, English isn't my native and I get confused sometimes!

Actually, that, too, but you never know what you'd enjoy - I never thought I'd enjoy hand stitching, and I ended up loving it. I will give it a shot with acrylics to see if I love or hate the process. 

17 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Becoming an edge snob is a lonely road that takes a considerable amount of time and joy out of leatherwork.  I am an edge snob.

Everything is good in its season. I really like these items with raw edges (maybe except of dog's hat) on chemical tanned leather. But, of course, on veg tan leather, finished edges would be pretty better than raw ones. Sorry.

Edited by AlexFJ

3 minutes ago, karlova said:

Хаха ))) Спасибо!!

Thanks ;) I didn't quite understand what you meant about the items I have on hand, English isn't my native and I get confused sometimes!

Actually, that, too, but you never know what you'd enjoy - I never thought I'd enjoy hand stitching, and I ended up loving it. I will give it a shot with acrylics to see if I love or hate the process. 

I only mean that your work is driven by the materials you have or can get.  So part of the look you have developed is limited availability.  You have made a nice, identifiable style using what you have.  Thats all.

31 minutes ago, AlexFJ said:

Everything is good in its season. I really like these items with raw edges (maybe except of dog's hat) on chemical tanned leather. But, of course, on veg tan leather, finished edges would be pretty better than raw ones. Sorry.

agree

27 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

I only mean that your work is driven by the materials you have or can get.  So part of the look you have developed is limited availability.  You have made a nice, identifiable style using what you have.  Thats all.

I get it! Pleased to hear ;) I actually can get anything I want as there's a shipping service from the US. It's just very expensive, and takes additional time to arrive. I wish I could just go to a real leather shop and touch everything before I buy. 

Such a happy day today, I got two shipments - a Katahdyn Crazyhorse side (dry-split to 3.5 oz), another one from BuckleGuy with whole bunch of solid brass hardware and a strap cutter!

I have already tried the latter - how could I ever live without it?? It's just a little wooden piece of happiness. 

Feels like Christmas LOL

33171946_2140372762656365_1974532255657230336_n.thumb.jpg.ebbf3cd09d87b19534c9919dce5f01ba.jpg

5 hours ago, karlova said:

I use regular acrylic paints to add background in carved areas, but I use Giardini for edges - it is so much more durable.  I think even more than Angelus acrylic paint.  I just completed a pouch and painted the edges with Angelus Brown, and I could not get the paint  to stop rubbing off when I buffed it.  I finally decided to sand the edges and repaint with Giardini black - one coat and I buffed vigorously and no paint came off.  Giardini is having a special and they say they have special rates now from FedEx, so you should check them out.  They are located in Italy - maybe not too much to ship to you.  Check at http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/

Gary

6 minutes ago, garypl said:

I use regular acrylic paints to add background in carved areas, but I use Giardini for edges - it is so much more durable.  I think even more than Angelus acrylic paint.  I just completed a pouch and painted the edges with Angelus Brown, and I could not get the paint  to stop rubbing off when I buffed it.  I finally decided to sand the edges and repaint with Giardini black - one coat and I buffed vigorously and no paint came off.  Giardini is having a special and they say they have special rates now from FedEx, so you should check them out.  They are located in Italy - maybe not too much to ship to you.  Check at http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/

Gary

Thanks Gary! :) I found these paints on Etsy from US sellers which is much closer ;)

1 minute ago, karlova said:

Thanks Gary! :) I found these paints on Etsy from US sellers which is much closer ;)

Good!  I think you will be pleased with the Giardini paints - I would try to source them from whoever can deliver them to you at the best price!

Gary

Welcome!

I love your stuff...and the way it's photographed! Having been brought up in a tropical country, I recognize the sharp light, shadows and angularity that comes up with it...works well with your work. We're always influenced by what's around us, be it in terms of materials available or our surroundings. 

wow love the dog pic

Really clever tote bag with the alcohol warning :lol: