Mizzy

Singer 153W103 feed dog trouble

I’ve been trying to fix up this beautiful old machine myself, including the table, but I’m stuck on a feed dog problem. When I purchased it recently it had a broken timing belt and a binding setup on the cylinder arm. The binding was easy enough to remove with a hacksaw (it was welded on), and the timing belt wasn’t too difficult. I’ve ensured the arrows are lined up on the clutch cog and timing plate. I’ve ordered new presser feet, fed dog and feed dog plate. But in the meantime, I’m trying to figure out why it won’t advance material. To me, it seems that the feed dog does the opposite motions as intended. 

Can someone please have a look at it in action on utube and suggest how I could fix it please?

Looks like its running in reverse:unsure: This earlier posting might be of help.

Mizzy, probably would have been better if you handwheeled it, it's a bit to fast for me to figure out which way it's going (Brian's obviously got better eyes than me).

Mizzy,

I agree with dikman, it would be better if we could see a slower movement in the video - perhaps by using the handwheel.   Having said that, it looks to me like it is going the right way.  Can you please take another video with a slower movement?  I would be interested to see it again.

Trevor

I would recheck your belt timing to start with. Tip the machine back, place your left thumb on the take up lever until you can feel it’s at the very top of the stroke. Then check your timing marks. It’s also possible that the lower belt cog doesn’t have the correct screw in the groove of the bottom shaft, making it appear to be in time, but it’s not. No telling what’s been done incorrectly on a used machine. 

Regards, Eric 

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your advice, I’m struggling here.

Your top and bottom shafts are out of time. 

Regards, Eric 

Thank you Gottaknow, that gives me something to work on. Now I know what I need to research and learn about. Very much appreciated!

Today I took the timing belt off and started again. Needle bar at highest point and arrow on timing plate aligned with groove on clutch cog. All good.

But nothing has changed. If I lived near a repair service I’d pay someone to fix it, but the nearest place is 3 hours away.

I’ve read back through all the posts. The one you suggested RockyAussie (thank you) I’ve read several times. 

Can anyone please suggest a utube clip that focuses on fixing my feed dog problem? 

Could you say what town in Oz you are ? There may be someone close that you could talk to.

12 hours ago, Mizzy said:

Today I took the timing belt off and started again. Needle bar at highest point and arrow on timing plate aligned with groove on clutch cog. All good.

I believe it should be TAKE-UP LEVER at highest position, not *needle bar*, to index the timing marks. Re-read Gottaknow's advice.

-DC

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Could you say what town in Oz you are ? There may be someone close that you could talk to.

IP address resolves to Sydney.

Tom

Take-up lever, got it. Thanks Sark9.

I’m on a mountain inland from Pambula on the Far South Coast of NSW, half way between Melbourne and Sydney. I’ve asked around here who fixes machines and there was a guy who travelled from Melbourne a few years back, but otherwise it’s a trip to Queanbeyan near Canberra.

Maybe there’s someone retired nearby who would like a cashie?

If you haven't already you could try @Darren Brosowski he is in Goulburn Vic and you might find how to contact him on face book if you check Able sewing. Between him and Steve @Singermania Cowboy sewing machines Australia I think you should get some help.

Edited by RockyAussie
mis spell

On 5/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, RockyAussie said:

If you haven't already you could try @Darren Brosowski he is in Goulburn Vic and you might find how to contact him on face book if you check Able sewing. Between him and Steve @Singermania Cowboy sewing machines Australia I think you should get some help.

Hey Rocky and Mizzy

Darren is in Goulburn NSW - between Canberra and Sydney.  Find Darren here https://www.facebook.com/darren.brosowski.  He is fantastic with vintage machines in general and Singers in particular.  In Aus, you are unlikely to find anyone more knowledgeable.

Steve is on the Qld coast - Bundaberg I believe...  I think Steve and Darren partner in their Cowboy business.

Don't know who is in Queanbeyan, and I wouldn't deal with those I know in Melbourne.

Just to be clear that Steve owns and operates the Australian Cowboy business in his own right but we do work closely on product development and promotion @Trevor Bartlett

4 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Just to be clear that Steve owns and operates the Australian Cowboy business in his own right but we do work closely on product development and promotion @Trevor Bartlett

Anne Bonny would be proud of you, Darren! Harrrr