i know this is probably been hashed to death. But who makes the best snaps fir belts and what size. I  havent used snaps before and a customer wants them on his belt. just want to get the right ones first. Thanks Ken

If you have access to a local Tandy store then you can pick up some of their stainless steel snaps, problem here is that they require totally different setting tools.  You are most likely looking for a small amount so Tandy may be your best option.

If you are looking for larger amounts then get in touch with The Buckle Guy (www.buckleguy.com) and get some solid brass snaps.  Most belts are made with the line 24 snaps.  I don't use snaps on my belts because they wear out; I only use Chicago screws.

Thanks Richard that is the type of information i was hoping for.

I always rivet my belts but a customer has a large amount of old buckles and wants to be able to change them out.

If you just need a few Chicago screws, Ace hardware stocks them. 

Jeff

Chicago screws are the only way to go. The customer can change buckles anytime they wish by simply removing the screw side and replacing them after changing buckles.

Ok like I said I have a customer that insist that he wants snaps on his belt. i ordered the 24 line snaps. Is this really what people are using on belts? They are bulky and come apart way to easy. Plus they make the total belt to thick in that area. Surely they are a better snap than these. Need help

I ordered them from Weavers.

No one I know uses snaps on belts. Chicago screws are used, or rivets. Today it does not matter who is the "maker" of snaps - they all are made in China by the millions and packaged under whatever brand ordered them.

I can see why no one uses them. But my customer keeps insisting on them.

Can you at least tell us what style of snaps do they insist on using? Provide sample pictures?

First, I don't use snaps anymore. I use Chicago screws, or rivets, depending on the cost of the item. But, think about it, where is the applied force on the buckle fold? It's not trying to pull the fold apart, it's laterally on the buckle fold. It doesn't take much resistance to hold that together, especially when the wearers belly is resisting it. I have never had an issue with a "snap" attachment in any of the belts I've made. I use Chicago screws now because over time, I've found that I like to change buckles after construction. If you want to make it bullet proof, just use copper or brass rivets and smash them with a ball peen hammer.    

Jeff

8 hours ago, Kenl said:

I can see why no one uses them. But my customer keeps insisting on them.

The customer is always right, even when he's wrong. If he insists on snaps at least discuss the pros & con of snaps versus Chicago screws