JDB

what can I do with a gifted singer 66?

I recently inherited my great-grandmother's foot-treadle Singer 66. I really only intend to use it to learn how to sew fabric, but after having read many, many posts on the subject of using this machine for stitching leather, I am intrigued by the possibility of using it for some very limited leather projects. I wasn't really looking for a machine to stitch leather, I just find myself with it and want to know what sort of things it is good for. There is a lot of conflicting information on its use with leather, and all I could really gather is it can handle #69 bonded nylon thread in a #18 needle, and no thicker than 1/4" leather if I get a walking foot pressor. 

Mostly I pick projects because I think they will be fun or useful. I've done some hand-stitching with leather to make knife sheaths and a few pistol holsters. I did a leather grip wrap on a sword and am working on a wood and leather scabbard for it. I am looking to add making clothing and leather accessories, maybe even some boots, for costuming and SCA outfits. So if anyone has any advice for using this machine, or cool projects they know it is good for besides the obvious fabric stuff, that would be great. Thanks.

Your Singer 66 is a straight stitch, bottom feed machine. It can never be a walking foot machine. Those have three bars coming down. Yours has two. It will always only be a bottom feeder.

That said, the model 66 can sew with #69 bonded thread and a #18 needle, which is its maximum size.  The maximum thickness sewable depends on the density and collapsability of the material. Cloth up to 1/4 inch is doable. With leather you will likely max out at about 8-9 ounces. It is possible that your mileage will vary.

Many sellers talk about sewing leather and don't mention the type of leather. Nearly all sewing machines will sew a few ounces of soft chrome leather like used in clothing, but Veg Tan leather is normally much harder material except the very fine stuff and few machines will sew two layers of it apart from Industrial sewing machines which have a motor strong enough to punch through

It will stitch a broad range of textiles and lightest leather, that is it. Might work with a roller foot if this machine is all you can afford.

2 hours ago, DrmCa said:

It will stitch a broad range of textiles and lightest leather, that is it. Might work with a roller foot if this machine is all you can afford.

Been there and done that. Installing a roller equipped or an even feed foot does improve the feeding of two layer seams. But, both types reduce the available clearance under the foot. If the original foot allowed for sewing 1/4 inch of material, a roller or even feed foot may only allow between 1/8 to 5/32 inch. Also, in order to sew a veg-tan leather belt on a model 66, the foot pressure spring screw may need to be cranked all the way down to keep the leather from lifting with the ascending needle.

I doubt it is capable of stitching belts with or w/o a roller foot. Kid gloves - possible. Wallets - kind of possible. Anything heavier is going to cause frustration.

Thanks to everyone! I may be brave enough to try making some very soft leather items or add some leather accents to some fabric pieces. I'll avoid anything heavier.

what can I do with a gifted singer 66?

Become its agent and put it on stage? (Sorry!)

You don't get given a straight line like that very often on these forums...B)]

I, too, got a domestic machine when my mom died, though a modern one, not an antique. I am going to be using it to sew bag lining (fabric) and very lightweight lining leather.

I have an old treadle 66.  I use it to sew on patches, using the hand wheel.

I bought an inexspensive Singer 66, and I did all the "internet" recommended upgrades to make it sew "leather". I bought a bigger motor, pulley, new belts, walking foot attachment, right needles, thread, etc. etc. 

Best it would do consistently was sewing wool felt to one layer of 5 ounce vegtan. It was terrible about skipped stitches and keeping an even stitch length. It just didnt have the mechanical control to feed thick material reliably. I used it sew guitar straps, and it worked 80% of the time, but every 5th time, it would scrunch the stitches up and make it look awful. 

The Singer 66 machines should not be used on important leather projects. Patches are okay as long as you sew inside the serged edges.