Here is my latest offering to the leatherwork gods.

My Father used to carry a key wallet, which I have never been a fan of. Recently I decided to give it a go, and I am liking the idea now.

The fish skin is from an unknown but local species to Western Australia, the lining is 1.2mm vegtan undyed or sealed so far, stitching is hand-stitched 3.0mm spacing with Gutermann Topstitch embroidery thread because I did not have any thinner suitable thread in the colour I wanted.

Key wallet 01.jpg

Key wallet 02.jpg

Key wallet 03.jpg

Love that fish skin!  Looks great.

Great colour on that fish skin Rokoboy. Where did you the fish skin from?

Very nice and I love the natural pattern of the fish skin.

Sam:)

There is a tannery, that does only fish leather, in a town called Esperance, on the southcoast of Western Australia.

There is quite a good industry, from what would otherwise be waste left over, from a commercial fishery. I bought a heap of there leather that appeared in a salvage/disposal warehouse near where I live.

I have used it on a few small items, like a small case or a pouch.

Edited by Rockoboy

Looking good Brian!  How durable is the fish skin?  When I think of fish skin, I think of how easily it tears when I’m eating a fish filet!

Gary

I love that color!

14 hours ago, garypl said:

How durable is the fish skin?

Thanx Gary. The fish skin is proving to be quite resilient overall, but the scale pockets can get a little ragged and untidy. You can see a couple on the folded edge towards the top of my 1st pic.

I am thinking about playing with my new airbrush and some antique, dyes, sealer etc on the veg tan interior. Never used an airbrush or any spraygun before, so that might make my project really pop ... or jump into the rubbish bin!