Petrean

Stopping Straps Stretching?

Hi all. 

I recently undertook a project I've wanted to do for a while, building a rucksack.

I'm very pleased with the result but after a summer of pretty intensive use in bad weather some of the load-bearing straps have stretched quite a bit.

If I was to replace these bits could I do something to prevent this just happening again or is it inevitable wear and tear?

DSCF8453.JPG

Well, leather will stretch to a degree. However certain parts of the hide and tannages will be more susceptible to it. I'd recommend a good latigo or bridle, even straight veg tan that's a little thicker. 

You can also line the strap, making it a 2 play strap, or ditch the leather strap all together and use thick canvass or nylon webbing. 

Leather stretches - and weather and heavy use aggravate that.  Best bet - use good cuts of leather, preferably from along the spine of the hide, and subject it to getting wet as little as possible.  Beyond that, you can gain some stretch resistance by using layers (a cord of three strands is very strong), or by lengthwise TIGHT stitching, or even by laminating with man-made materials (like webbing) which are made with interlocking fibers to prevent linear distortion.

Dont forget the various saddle soap etc to help make them resist the weather even "Dubbin" someone reminded me the other day, made for the purpose

What leather was it it looks like chrome leather rather than bridal or similar 

Edited by chrisash

Thanks for all the advice guys, you've been dead helpful. I've got some options now.

Rob

The strap should fit the buckle. Yours may be thinned by stretching, but that would be A LOT of stretch. Width and thickness are your friends. The mentions of layers is a good idea, as is the stitching. Oh, and stop collecting boulders in your rucksack. Sandwiches, spare socks, maybe beers and ice, but that's about it.

Jeff

Wow! I just re-read your initial post! One summer? That bag looks like it's been through decades of use! Congratulations on your devotion. Talk about goin' a wanderin"! I am impressed.

Jeff