ABHandmade

WIP. Wallet with Floral design (but not Sheridan)

11 hours ago, IrisLH said:

Those finished products look grand! They are amazing. I like them both and I love how you shaped the 'clip' (for lack of a better word) and incorporated that into the tooling pattern. Really really well done! Looks very professional!

@IrisLHThank you so much for such a wonderful comment in regard to my work!

4 hours ago, bdpeters said:

wow the color on that really pops out at you., great job.

Thank you so much!

Wow man! I hope the recipient understands the masterpiece she took possession of. Reeeeeally nice work @ABHandmade.

26 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Wow man! I hope the recipient understands the masterpiece she took possession of. Reeeeeally nice work @ABHandmade.

Thank you! :blush:

Unfortunately, this work, like many others, has no owner :(
I may be able to do something more or less decent, but I cannot sell it.

EDIT. So for now this is just a hobby, which brings nothing but some kind of moral satisfaction :)

Edited by ABHandmade

That is amazing! Beautiful coloring!

Wait. What? No owner? Have you heard about Etsy? It’s a virtual store where you can sell your amazing work. AMAZING! Please share your talent. The world needs more beauty. 

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

21 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

That is amazing! Beautiful coloring!

Wait. What? No owner? Have you heard about Etsy? It’s a virtual store where you can sell your amazing work. AMAZING! Please share your talent. The world needs more beauty. 

Thank you for such a high praise, @ScoobyNewbie!

I tried to post several works there (albeit with great difficulty, since Paypal in Ukraine does not work on accepting payments). The result is 0.
Apparently, after all, sales are not my strong point :)

49 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Paypal in Ukraine does not work on accepting payments

Can you post it on Facebook within your local area? Stipulate payment in cash on pickup only.

53 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Can you post it on Facebook within your local area? Stipulate payment in cash on pickup only.

Thanks for the advice! Will need to try.
I have already posted several works on, if I may say so, the local analogue of Etsy (crafta.ua). There are views - no purchases.
Perhaps I overestimate the price too. Would it be indiscreet on my part to ask the respected craftsmen - what, in your opinion, is the fair price of a "Wallet with roses"?

EDIT. Such an assessment will not be considered an agreement to buy the product :)

Edited by ABHandmade

10 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

what, in your opinion, is the fair price of a "Wallet with roses"?

That is a tough question. It depends on the economy of the area and the clientele. There is no way you could expect to receive the same amount for your excellent item in a lower socio-economic area, as you would ask in the rich side of town.

Similarly, there is no way to assess what you should ask for your item in the Ukraine because it is for sale for $50 in Somalia or $1000 in USA. It will depend on what your market can withstand.

As a starting point, maybe somebody who makes similar quality items can suggest what they would ask in their area. Maybe the value of any item you make, that has no home, is entirely linked to your assessment of its worth. I have some items that I would not sell for any price, and some that might appear to be of similar value, that I would sell for a few dollars, because the item means nothing to me from a sentimental point of view.

@Rockoboy, absolutely agree with you. The level of income (and associated purchasing power) and the price of any product that is acceptable are closely interrelated. Here you can also add the demand for the product - I think it will be very problematic to sell skiing in the Sahara, even for $ 1. :)

Focusing on the price of similar products - this is the first thing that comes to mind. That's what I tried to do. But there are also nuances here ...
For example, the product has objective assessment criteria - the quality of materials, the quality of work on dyeing, stitching, processing edges. And subjective, which include the carving, which is an decoration and does not bear the functional load. Plus, the fact that the master can unadequately assesses the level of "artistic" of the own product.

Edited by ABHandmade

2 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

The level of income (and associated purchasing power) and the price of any product that is acceptable are closely interrelated. Here you can also add the demand for the product

Do this:
1. State the total amount of materials used, down to the ml of dye used.
2. State how many hours it took.
3. State how much your time per hour is worth.
Multiply #2 with #3 and add #1. That will give you the total COST of making the item.
Now add the profit you want to make, for the PRICE of the item.

You may find that the price you came up with is too steep (I do all the time..).
Then:
Figure out who you want to sell to. Can and WILL they pay what you want? If so, market to them.
Are they in another country? Sell via internet.
If you can't, you may have to adjust your price. You can change your profit margin for sure, and perhaps your rate/hour, but not the material cost. Well you can, for future items, by procuring lesser quality materials, which is done all the time by manufacturers.
But personally as a craftsman and an artist I rather work with the best materials I can get my hands on and then see if there's a customer out there that also appreciates top notch quality. In these days of AliExpress and Wish the waiting time can be long sometimes...

2 hours ago, robs456 said:

Do this:
1. State the total amount of materials used, down to the ml of dye used.
2. State how many hours it took.
3. State how much your time per hour is worth.
Multiply #2 with #3 and add #1. That will give you the total COST of making the item.
Now add the profit you want to make, for the PRICE of the item.

That I also tried.

2 hours ago, robs456 said:

You may find that the price you came up with is too steep (I do all the time..).

And got the result you described :)

There is no particular point in switching to very cheap materials in my case, since they make up a small part in the formula you described (# 1).

It seems that I will continue to just do what I like and just continue to give some of items to relatives and friends. In terms of motivation and self-respect, it suits me more than to sell at any price for only to make sell. And wait for my buyer.... :) 

1 hour ago, ABHandmade said:

And got the result you described

Most of us do :)

Keep handing out the stuff, it's the best form of marketing.
However, don't sell stuff for the cost of materials only, 'cos that will give the general leather product buying public the idea that that is what a product is worth and ruins it for all the rest of us.

Now I don't think you would do this, just giving hints to other people who might read this down the line.

Sorry I was no help.

6 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Sorry I was no help.

It is I who have to apologize for throwing out the emotions. Everything is normal, life goes on :) I do what I love and this in itself is worth a lot. 
Thank, Scooby!

I try, I try, sometimes I’m very trying... lol