I find that contact cement works for most of what I do. I am looking for an adhesive that sets quick that doesn't require glue on both the surfaces. I am trying to make book covers on a small scale production level. I am cutting the leather to size and then doing the tooling and dying at the beginning.   I am using light pigskin as a liner and also using it to slide the book into. I would like to be able to just put glue on the perimeter of the outer leather and just smack it down on the pigskin and then trim the pigskin to fit after the glue sets.   That would save a lot of time over pre-cutting the pigskin and trying to match up the contact cement on both pieces.   I have tried to use double-sided tape. It works well to keep the leather in the pigskin together long enough to do the sewing, but it does not hold up long-term. I would like to have a permanent bond between the leather and the pigskin.  Any recommendations.

PS. I do have a cobra sewing machine so the  outer leather and the pigskin are sewn together at the end.

permanent bond spray adhesive...check the local auto parts or amazon?  Honestly though, if I'm gluing up something that i want to last I still only trust contact cement on both layers, but some of the 3M and associated spray adhesives work well depending on use.  I used this for a custom made portfolio to attach the backer to the foam before stitching around the rolled edges...https://imgur.com/a/XHor9kx

w8Ebv2f.jpg

M-90 may work on just one side.

It's from 3m.

I love my leatherweld.

On 17/09/2018 at 4:35 AM, Russ498 said:

That would save a lot of time over pre-cutting the pigskin and trying to match up the contact cement on both pieces

I don't understand why with the contact glue on the pig skin you don't leave it oversize as you are saying you want to do. Once the glue is dry it is no problem to cut/trim afterwards. I do that method for a lot of my one off pattern jobs. Mostly though for production jobs I put top and lining together oversize and then second cut them both together. If applying the contact is slowing you down too much how are you applying it? I only ask as there are a lot of very quick methods depending on what you have to work with.

I have used tight bond III wood glue, it is waterproof and it goes on easy, but does take some drying time.  But the stuff really works well and is indeed fairly waterproof.  I use this sometimes for lining knife and tool sheaths.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:21 AM, RockyAussie said:

I don't understand why with the contact glue on the pig skin you don't leave it oversize as you are saying you want to do. Once the glue is dry it is no problem to cut/trim afterwards. I do that method for a lot of my one off pattern jobs. Mostly though for production jobs I put top and lining together oversize and then second cut them both together. If applying the contact is slowing you down too much how are you applying it? I only ask as there are a lot of very quick methods depending on what you have to work with.

Because the book cover slides into the pouch.  I only have about 1/4” glue line to work with.  I want to put my 1/4” glue line down and press it to the liner material and then trim.

10 hours ago, Russ498 said:

Because the book cover slides into the pouch.  I only have about 1/4” glue line to work with.  I want to put my 1/4” glue line down and press it to the liner material and then trim.

I am not quite sure of the problem with gluing the lining up and having it oversize to trim after. If I were to do the patterning for this the lining would be 1/8" bigger than the the outer cover all around. The glue then on the lining would be glued in about 1/4 " which would be around a 1/8 over lap against the outside leaving a 1/8" to trim around. The application can be done in several ways quite easily depending on what tools you have for it. A machine like in this picture below is ideal but a glue gun can be fairly fast as well. To see the machine in action check about 1 minute in on this video -

I doubt you will find any glue other than contact to set well on the pigskin in the method you want to do without a lot of time waste at least. Happy if you can prove me wrong and if you do please share here.

DSC08041_resize.JPG

DSC08071_resize.JPG

10 hours ago, Russ498 said:

The M90 I mentioned above would work well. You just have to mask off the areas that get sprayed. Wait time is like 5 minutes.