VeeBee

Tension Keeps Changing

Hello all,

I've been having this problem with my TechSew 2700 Sewing machine and i pretty much tried everything and maybe now i can get some input from the great leather people here.

So, I've had this sewing machine for a while and it's always going out of whack and i'm constantly troubleshooting problems.This time once i start stitching everything will be going fine and when i'm about 10 stitches in the bobbin case starts to make this struggle noise and the tension on my stitches gets to tight, or to loose then it will go back to stitching fine again. I've tried changing the needle, tweaking the hook timing, adjusting the upper, lower and bobbin tension, threading the machine over, re-winding the bobbin and even reset the motor on the machine.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank Yall!

I normally put a drop of oil on the hook before starting every day

Check your entire upper thread path starting from the thread spool. Upper thread path issues can cause all manner of problems, including the symptoms you describe. Watch how thread unwinds from the spool as you sew (keep your fingers away from the needle!) You may find it snagging or jerking for some reason. The thread guide hole in the thread stand must be directly above the spool. Some threads are springy and fall off the spool and then get caught under the spool - a thread net may eliminate that issue. 

51GEwgNFmXL.jpg

Here's a ten year old topic with more details on that:

Edited by Uwe

I had a similar issue on a flatbed machine, and it wound up being a faulty bobbin case.  The bobbin case was simply defective, and wouldn't apply light, even tension on the bobbin thread which caused erratic tension problems.  Replacing the bobbin case solved that problem.  To test it, load a bobbin and pull on the bobbin thread.  Gradually pull out 2-3 feet of thread and see if you have light consistent bobbin tension.  

I like Uwe's comment about a thread net.  I use a short length of my wife's nylons for the same purpose.  

Thank you everybody for the replies. I tried everyone of your inputs. And now everything is going well. It's so tricky with these machine it's usually the tiniest things that cause major problems.

One more thing to watch - cheap bobbins. Sometimes they can be just slightly out of round or tweaked and they can bind up a bit in the bobbin case leading to inconsistent lower thread tension. Make sure the bobbin rotates free in the case and the tension on the thread is even.

So, i'm having the same problem. It was working well once i switched to a different thickness of leather. I then realized that my take up spring was broken. I've re purchased another one and i will you guys know if this fixed my problem.