myjtp

Just scored a REX 26-188 Walking foot sewing machine for $50.00 now what? / Singer 16-188 / Chandler TDU-N62 / Consew 18 clone

I suggest you start a separate thread asking for info on the feet it uses. If you're lucky they might be the same as one of the Singer models.

4 hours ago, myjtp said:

So I finally put some oil in each hole and watched a tutorial on how to thread the machine.  Threaded some red Bonded Nylon Sewing Thread Size #69 T70. Tightened the belt a bit and off to the races. I started with some canvas and it was interesting because at first the machine would sort of stall out and buzz when i pushed too slow on the foot pedal but when i pushed a little quicker and harder on it BOOM off to the races it flew through that canvas

Then to really test it out i ran two pieces of thick veg tan leather and it ate it for breakfast!

Now the feet definitely need to be smoothed down in order to do leather because they leave marks and I am going to test 138 thread with 22 needles. Anyone know where I can get some lower feet so i can smooth them out instead of smoothing out the original machine's feet?

Thanks!

i found feet for the adler on amazon and ebay already smoothed out...they may already be out there ;-)

Edited by Northmount
Removed redundant pics

6 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

i found feet for the adler on amazon and ebay already smoothed out...they may already be out there ;-)

LINK PLEASE!! :D 

4 minutes ago, myjtp said:

LINK PLEASE!! :D 

not sure these will match your machine...but here are the links anyway, the welting foot did not have a smooth bottom foot...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GGSLYK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-FOR-ADLER-67-68-167-267CL-2-TOE-WELT-FOOT-SET-1-4-S67-1-4-1SET/152427460804?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by koreric75

Nope that wont work :( These are the kind that fit my machine I guess ill have to either grind these down OR put some epoxy or JB weld and smooth the bottom out a bit.

IihOQx2.jpg

if you haven't found this already...

16 minutes ago, myjtp said:

Nope that wont work :( These are the kind that fit my machine I guess ill have to either grind these down OR put some epoxy or JB weld and smooth the bottom out a bit.

IihOQx2.jpg

looks like they're around $20 so i'd say grind  away...lol https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/1-8-outside-welt-foot-gauge-singer-120369-1-8.aspx?variant_id=282645

18 minutes ago, myjtp said:

i tell you what.... that looks pretty damn close!!!

5IDe31W.png

I'd say that warrants a phone call or contact form submission to Sailrite. They should know if their foot is compatible with your machine.

Replying to:  myjtp

Just scored a REX 26-188 Walking foot sewing machine for $50.00 now what? / Singer 16-188 / Chandler TDU-N62 / Consew 18 clone

By myjtp, October 12, 2018 in Leather Sewing Machines 

I hope it ends up in the right place.

You might need 16X64 needles.  I bought them from College-Sewing UK a while back.  I have a 16-188. They are the only place in the world I could find them.  16X63 needles are fairly easy to get; but, lack the chisel tip for leather.  One person mentioned I could adjust my needle bar and use different needles ... What does your parts manual call for in needles?

You have to ask them for the needles; they don't list them as parts they carry.

Edited by scubadiverberry

College have a minimum order amount ( I think it is £20.00 or £25.00 ) system* ( or it might be minimum handling and postage ) anyway, so you may as well stock up on needles there, or look around their site for things to get you up to min order.

*I can't remember which, I usually do orders between €50.00 and well over €100.00 there, so it doesn't affect me.

2 hours ago, SoniaG said:
  • Hello! I just picked one of these up and would love a copy of the manual! 

There is a link to a downloadable manual for the Rex 26-188 machines on this page from 2014.

Just picked up the Rex 26-188 sewing machine also but did not come with any manuals and would like a copy if your still offering.  Thank you Becky.

23 hours ago, Doodles said:

Just picked up the Rex 26-188 sewing machine also but did not come with any manuals and would like a copy if your still offering.  Thank you Becky.

This topic has a link to download the manual: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/58482-rex-26-188/

The Rex machines took the 135x17 needles which is what we always adjusted the Singer 16's to use slightly shorter BUT at least you can get them in any size you want for sewing leather or cloth.