Alexis1234

Raised strapwork

I have been struggling doing  a heavy raised bead  or raised strap work(in general)  on horse harness. I have tried a couple different methods- putting strap thru a raised creaser  roller and putting a  filler  under it or skiving a strap on either edge and using a rounding block. My problem is, it doesn't seem to want to sew that well. One side is sews nice and where it's supposed to be and the other side wants to go wonky or the stitching line is off as if there's not enough leather. Is there a general rule of allowance on the top strap? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

Edited by Alexis1234

What if you leave it oversized and trim after you stitch?

That's what Iv'e been doing on shaped pieces- no problem. It's straight strap work (of all things!), mainly trying to do a really pronounced bead. I wonder if I should be be molding the leather before hand?

Alexis do you have any photos of the work you're having trouble with?

Are you glueing or tacking the two layers together before sewing? It sounds like the top, curved layer is perhaps slipping out of alignment with the bottom layer after you've sewn the first side.