SilverForgeStudio

Sewing heavy canvas to Leather

Ok folks... It's like my third posting without any pictures or work... Mea-culpa but I'm gathering my materials... Pics are forthcoming-

While I wait I've tried saddle stitching and am building the clam.

But what I'm trying to figure out is how to sew No4 canvas (sail-weight heavy "duck") into a leather pattern... Sewing search terms with "canvas" gets no hits from the forum... So again I am asking for a nudge in the right direction from the collective minds here...

I want to sew a canvas strip into a leather bag... My noob logic says dress the edge of the canvas by foldover and sew 3mm straight stitch... Then just saddle-stitch it as normal... But then again how do I treat the leather edge?

Do I bevel, burnish and edge-coat or should I skive and foldover then sew?

Trying not to make the "first" project not look like a junior Boy Scout camp-craft and good 'nuff thing... It's for the wife... And I want HER to like me leatherworking... Especially after she saw the bill for the startup equipment and the hides...

I sewed a canvas liner into a bag. What I did was use a french seam over the edges of the leather, and then sew the liner underneath that.
That won't make sense unless you see the pictures on my website <The Camino Bag>
Perhaps that will help?

1 hour ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

I want to sew a canvas strip into a leather bag... My noob logic says dress the edge of the canvas by foldover and sew 3mm straight stitch... Then just saddle-stitch it as normal... But then again how do I treat the leather edge?

Will the edge of the canvas show?  If not, if you have access to a serger, serge it first or even a domestic sewing machine with zigzag stitch a tight zigzag stitch next to the edge will keep it from fraying.  Some domestic sewing machines will have other stitch patterns that will work too.  A single layer of canvas will add less bulk at the seams.

Another thought would be a solid piece of canvas clear to the edges or seams of the bag with the leather sewn onto the canvas.   Without a picture or plans of the design I'm sort of guessing.

Your edge treatment on the leather depends on the leather.  Veg tan leathers will take a burnish, other types, not so much.  Edge paint before assembly might be an option too.  My experience as a newbie is getting clean folded edges is tricky at best.

Hi,

I make a lot of canvas bags with leather attached to the bag. I use a CB-4500 with #277 thread. I use a Consew 225 for binding the inside of the bags. If you are going hand sew you can use Seamstick 3/8" basting tape for canvas from Sailrite.com it works very well I can not make a bag without this tape. It depends on the leather that you are going to use on finishing the edges some softer leathers will not burnish very well. You can try to dye the edges then burnish the edges before you attach the leather to the bag. Hope this helps....

IMG_2373.jpg

Great bag!

14 hours ago, DJole said:

That won't make sense unless you see the pictures on my website <The Camino Bag>
Perhaps that will help?

DJ- nice work indeed- I had previously found your fencing doublet- so nice to see other work as well- the info and french seam advice is well-met- Thanks for the feedback!

13 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Will the edge of the canvas show?  If not, if you have access to a serger, serge it first or even a domestic sewing machine with zigzag stitch a tight zigzag stitch next to the edge will keep it from fraying.  Some domestic sewing machines will have other stitch patterns that will work too.  A single layer of canvas will add less bulk at the seams.

Another thought would be a solid piece of canvas clear to the edges or seams of the bag with the leather sewn onto the canvas.   Without a picture or plans of the design I'm sort of guessing.

Your edge treatment on the leather depends on the leather.  Veg tan leathers will take a burnish, other types, not so much.  Edge paint before assembly might be an option too.  My experience as a newbie is getting clean folded edges is tricky at best.

Rodney- I dont have access to a serger- but I do have a heavier duty (but not commercial) Singer. I bold/underlined the part Im having trouble with as well- its not a especially finiky bag or complex- but the pattern is for fabric and Im mocking it up now with the leather to understand the differences. Thanks for the assist- clean folded edges are definitely my goal! Thank you!

9 hours ago, BattleAx said:

Hi,

I make a lot of canvas bags with leather attached to the bag. I use a CB-4500 with #277 thread. I use a Consew 225 for binding the inside of the bags. If you are going hand sew you can use Seamstick 3/8" basting tape for canvas from Sailrite.com it works very well I can not make a bag without this tape. It depends on the leather that you are going to use on finishing the edges some softer leathers will not burnish very well. You can try to dye the edges then burnish the edges before you attach the leather to the bag. Hope this helps....

IMG_2373.jpg

Battle- that bag is awesome- I will be hand sewing this one- I am certain a machine is in my future if I keep down this path! I had not considered seam tape- THANK you for that suggestion!

Once again folks I will have pics coming soon- apologies for jumping in and not sharing!